Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a spirited ride Tuesday, and got on Wednesday for another. 1/2 a block down the street, my sprocket just randomly falls off. I had to locate all the parts, but the nut still had makeshift wire ring around it. Why would something like this happen? Did that ring lose tension and cause the nut to rotate off?

Would it be a big deal to reassemble it and ride it around or to a shop?

·
Registered
876 Posts
“The nut still had makeshift wire ring around it “
I‘m guessing this.
Also chain must be out of alignment or worn out for sprocket to come off the shaft

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
“The nut still had makeshift wire ring around it “
I‘m guessing this.
Also chain must be out of alignment or worn out for sprocket to come off the shaft
I say makeshift, but I've seen it on other ducs. It was put together by a pit crew at the track, so its not nothing. Just like in this picture but I believe the clip should've been bent through the hole in the axle.

I'm not exactly sure how this is supposed to keep the nut from rotating. I've seen the stock clips and they seem to have a needle that sticks into the axle. Is that correct?

I forced it on today by setting it on the sprocket, rotating the wheel, and popping it into place. I wonder if that hurt the chain. On top of that, my shifter is sticking now. I'm pretty damn frustrated right now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Reminds me of the episode with my old Honda VFR which also has a SSSA, about 3 years ago.
I felt lucky the engine case was not damaged, just a sacrificial part around the front sprocket.
Also I could not find the rear sprocket and other bits. Cost about $600 in mostly used parts, and a bunch of work.

I guess you were lucky it was not worse.

101_3228.JPG

·
Registered
876 Posts
It would have helped to loosen the rear wheel and put slack in the chain first, but I doubt you damaged anything. If your chain is in good shape and doesn’t have much side play,
if the chain is properly aligned between the sprockets it shouldn’t put any side load on the sprocket. I suggest you read the workshop manual and make sure you are assembling it correctly. Replace the parts that hold the sprocket on the shaft. They apparently didn’t hold as well as they should have. If you’re missing a retaining pin or any part there replace it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not exactly sure how this is supposed to keep the nut from rotating. I've seen the stock clips and they seem to have a needle that sticks into the axle. Is that correct?
One side indeed sticks into the axle.
Tighten the nut to specified torque, then tighten further till you can see the little hole in the axle and put on the clip.
I usually secure with a cable tie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I slapped everything together today. Should've realized before forcing the chain on that I could just taken the cush drives off and slid the chain on the sprocket with no force. I torqued the cush drive bolts to the ~50Nm and axle nut to ~150Nm and took it for a spin around the block. Seemed fine but I am still very paranoid about that nut coming loose. I feel like I should add some protection.

Well that's problem #1 solved. Now problem #2 is that in all of this I somehow screwed my shifter up. Maybe I was jamming it too hard or maybe it was when the chain came off and bunched up at the front sprocket, and then I jammed it. It doesn't return to position after I shift. (Ex, I have to pull it back up with my foot after going into 1st). Is this a simple alignment issue where I need to pull the alternator cover and reset per the manual?

·
Registered
876 Posts
You didn’t mention the chain wadding up at the countershaft. Check for cracked cases.
There is a mechanism inside the case that must have gotten messed up if the shifter isn’t returning. You’re going to have to remove the case and take a look. I’m betting someone has done a YouTube video on it that will show you how to fix it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found these links:

But I'm not sure they apply. I also don't have the shifter tool. It doesn't look to be terrible as some posters said they've done this trackside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts