Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read three reviews of the s4r. All were positive, but 2 of 3 said that the bike was snatchy at low revs and all complained that the clutch was too heavy for stop and go traffic. They concluded that the bike would not be the best choice for in-town riding.

I am trying to decide between the S4 and S4R for my only bike. I will do a lot of city riding in Atlanta where traffic is heavy.

I test rode a new 02 S4 and loved it. The new styling of the S4R is hard to pass up. Any opinions?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I live in Tampa and the traffic is hell here as well. All I can say is that the clutch is very tricky sometimes when hitting the stop and go, stop and go.....

I must say, out of all the bikes I have had (mostly full race type bikes) I find my S4R one of the best bikes overall. Compared to a BMW K series bike, they are right, it is kind of a beast in traffic.

I would ride one if you get a chance and try not to fall in love too quickly because you will be blinded by the beauty of the machine. Realize that this bike is whatever you choose her to be: Racer, Hooligan, Cafe, or Town Transportation.

Enjoy the process and make very informed choices before selecting your beast.....

Liter

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Liter. Very helpful. I am going to try to test ride the S4R tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re-gearing either the S4 or the S4R, via a smaller countershaft sprocket, larger rear sprocket, or both, helps a LOT for city use.

Less gear changes required, easier on the clutch on repeated stop and go, and way livelier acceleration.

As for stiff clutch pull, I'm puzzled. My S4 cltuch pull seems very moderate.

Try it, you'll like it . . .

Jim G

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an S4. As far as in town, it sux. I also had a chance to test out the S4r. It felt really smooth and soft. Seemed like the clutch was even softer.

It also made me realize how much I love the smaller front sprocket on my S4.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
definately gearing... going up two teeth on the rear sprocket or down one tooth on the front makes a world of difference in low-speed manners. helps acceleration as well. if you find the clutch pull heavy (should be no different than the S4 you already tried), you can get an aftermarket slave cylinder for well under $200.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ducgasm, what sux about the S4 in town?
I always find myself stuck in traffic going too slow for second but two high for first. I guess you could have that with any bike.

Also, the monster is not at all comfortable when easing through traffic. Probably the same with any bike, too.

But, I noticed on the S4r that I test rode...well, I don't know what it was. I think they have same suspension, but the s4r felt so smooth. I even carried my girlfriend on it and she said so too. ANd the clutch felt so easy.

I wish I could be of more help to you. But for what its worth, for the difference in the money I would get the S4 all day.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I have a strong grip from my other hobby. ::) But I have no issues with the clutch pull. If you liked the S4, you will love the S4R. It feels a lot like the S4 but faster. I rode both back to back. And the difference was noticeable. But like was said previously. A $30 sprocket and an aftermarket slave cylinder will make if more Japanese feeling. I mean softer.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, when you are used to jerking it ten times a day I guess you wouldnt have much of a problem. ::)

I mean hell, after an hour of stop and go 5mph traffic even a roll on throttle becomes taxing...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
man, you wanna talk about snatchy low speed manners ...
the S4R's got nothing on the older FI bikes. my 851
is nearly unrideable at less than 3000 rpm. tall gearing,
un-sorted FI, dry clutch and 2 big cylinders all contribute.

·
Registered
668 Posts
1000 rules!

And the hand will get use to it.

Do not believe those tester so seriouysly, they just invent these ridicolous "too heavy" sheit because they are weak !

Skier

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When ever I ride my S4R, I never put any thought to the clutch. Testers go out of there way to find anything they can, Its thier job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts