Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to raise the rear end of my s4r this weekend. Having never done this before I want to ask ahead of time if there is anything I should watch out for or if there are any potential "gotchas" in the process ??

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I want to do the same too. I'm thinking about .5-.75" will do. www.ducatisuite.com has some info, but that's not for the S4R and I'm pretty sure that's whole different Monster (pun intended). If I had my bike right now, I'd be able to tell.

S

·
0 Posts
stuff a block of wood between the swingarm and the frame so that when you pull the tie-rod, the bike doesn't collapes.
thread out to the height you want, and reinstall. be carefull to leave enough thread IN the tie-rod. can't remember how much "enough" is though...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strati...does the tie rod really need to be pulled ? I was looking at the manual and it seems as though after loosening the two lock nuts, the tie rod can just be lengthened by turning it ?? In case you cant tell, I'm pretty new at "wrenching" [smiley=embarassed.gif] -- Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Strati...does the tie rod really need to be pulled ? I was looking at the manual and it seems as though after loosening the two lock nuts, the tie rod can just be lengthened by turning it ?? In case you cant tell, I'm pretty new at "wrenching" [smiley=embarassed.gif] -- Thanks
if the two bolts are opposite threaded, then you're correct. if they're threaded in kind, then turning the rod will loosen one but tighten the other. i'll have to double-check to be sure. if it is the case though, score, do it with the tie rod still in the bike. but i'd still suggest stuffing a block of wood in there just to unload the suspension (will make turning the rod more easy).

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
On my S4, they're threaded opposite. Left hand threaded fasteners or parts are usually marked by a small groove or grooves in the hex.

Maybe the access is better on the S4R, but on an S4 it'd take a special wrench to do it without removing the pushrod.

Leave at least 1.5 diameters worth of thread engaged in the pushrod. Make sure the rod ends are aligned when you tighten the locknuts.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The s4R manual says they are left-hand threaded and it looks like a regular wrench should work--Manual says max is 5 threads showing. So, I'm going to give it a try.... Thanks for the help !!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hey, can you let me know how easy it was? I need to drop mine down about 1/2".

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
sweet...for some reason, I thought there was some measuring to do. That must be just for the shock adjustment.

S

·
0 Posts
I raised the ride height on my S4R already and it was as easy as loosening the lock nuts on the tie rod turning it to desired height and re-tightening nuts. One thing I found out though is that after doing that the sidestand is now to short and the lean angle is even worse than stock. Cycle cat is supposedly working on a new longer sidestand that fits the S4R, the one they have now has a different sized bolt hole.

R

·
0 Posts
How does raising the rear effect the bike? What is the bike doing that you want to change? I am about to order all new springs for my eh hem ah size. But other then that I felt the bike seems ok.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
well...I changed the oil in the S4R today and then decided to lower the ride height about 1/2". Unfortunately, I've learned it can't be done. My S4R is already as low as it's going to get.

Anyone know how to raise the ride height of a 1973 Germican?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did raise the rear 1/2" on Sat am. The process was pretty straight forward, however the lower locknut (the reverse threaded one) was really hard to crack, but persistance prevailed. Also, the access is pretty tight, but all and all it wasn't too bad. I made a reference measurement before I did it, so I would know how much to raise it. I had heard from many that this mod would improve the turn in, which it does seem to do, however the improvement was not nearly as dramatic as what I noticed when I put on the CF wheels. S4r996--- you are certainly right about the lean angle increasing !! I will be very interested in tha longer kickstand.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Careful on lowering the front...
My S4 with the stock front fork position will push the fender into the radiator with the front fork bottomed out.

You wouldn't want to snag the fender or the radiator on the tire on a really big hit. That would be ugly.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think I'm going to leave it as-is. I can touch tip-toe on both sides or flat foot on one. I like the clearance I have right now-my 620 used to bottom out on speed bumps. Now I just got to get up the gumption to fiddle with the suspension.

anyone had their 600 mile service yet? How $$$ intensive?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was surprise at how noticible the 1/2" is....especially on the seat height. I could almost flat foot the bike before, but certainly cannot now.

R

·
0 Posts
1/2" overall height or on the rod??

the user manual said do not over 10.25" on the rod but dunno where is the reference point. ???

1 - 20 of 47 Posts