Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

S4R review in T.W.O

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  53edsel 
#1 ·
Man, those brit MC journos just do not like Monsters ! Did anyone read the S4R review in Two Wheels Only (TWO) ? They tested it against the MV Brutale, Tuono Racing and the Buell 12 Lightning. They really couldnt find anything wrong with the bike except that it was still a Monster. They gave the Brutale 5 stars, the TuonoR 4 stars, while the S4R and Buell both got 3 stars. Also, their s4R only dynoed at 99 RWHP ????? What a bunch of wankers!!

G
#2 ·
don't you agree MV brutale is better then S4R?? but I dont too much agree Tuono Racing is better then S4R. Buell is just a joke so I will take 1 star out from Buell and give it to S4R. So both S4r and Tuono is even.

it is possible S4R has only 99 RWHP, however, 996 has only 110 RWHP.

#3 ·
I think there's even more mystique associated w/ the MV than the Monster. However, some of the stateside reviews weren't nearly as thrilled w/ the MV.

I suspect that on a strictly performance scale (lap times etc) the Tuono Racing will spank an S4R. I also suspect that 99RWHP isn't that far off.

All that said, ranking the S4R equivalent to the Buell is extreme wankerness. Ought to be condemned to riding a Buell Blast for the rest of their days ???

#5 ·
don't you agree MV brutale is better then S4R?? but I dont too much agree Tuono Racing is better then S4R. Buell is just a joke so I will take 1 star out from Buell and give it to S4R. So both S4r and Tuono is even.

it is possible S4R has only 99 RWHP, however, 996 has only 110 RWHP.
Didnt Motorcyclist magazine test and dyno an S4R ? I've seen a couple of S4R dynoruns, although I cant remeber where but I think they were around 110. What I dont know is how much dyno results can vary between different dynometers. Anyways, its the butt dyno that really matters isn't it ?

Anyways, my biggest problems with the review were 1) They gave it the same score as the Buell and 2) they denigrated (fancy word, eh
:)) it because it was a Monster. I didnt have a problem with the Brutale or TuonoR scoring higher.

#6 ·
I think there's even more mystique associated w/ the MV than the Monster. However, some of the stateside reviews weren't nearly as thrilled w/ the MV.

I suspect that on a strictly performance scale (lap times etc) the Tuono Racing will spank an S4R. I also suspect that 99RWHP isn't that far off.

All that said, ranking the S4R equivalent to the Buell is extreme wankerness. Ought to be condemned to riding a Buell Blast for the rest of their days ???
The S4R was just slightly slower than the Tuono on the speed runs and faster than the other 2.

#12 ·
To set the record straight. Neither the review nor I said anything about any bikes sucking. I thought this particular review as well as a couple of others I have read in Brit bike mags, had a bias against Monsters. I don't need a good review to justify my purchase of the s4r that I am so enamored with...did I really come across that way ? If so, that was not my intent. Did the review take even one iota of pleasure out of my ride today ? Hell no !!
I could have purchased a Tuono or a Buell. As a matter of fact, I took a test ride on the Buell which in my opinion is not in the same league as the S4R or the M1000 (which I also tested). I bought the S4R because it fit me like a glove, was hellishly fast enough for me, handled great and was a great looking bike. I still feel that way today, but even more so. OK ????

#13 ·
I dont care what any jurnolist says. I love my S4R. they are spoilt for choice. they are proberbly all good bikes including the buell. Every one has diferrent tastes.
Anyway, I havent herd any one on thes forums complain about there S4R, as theres nothing to complain about!

#14 ·
I just read the article. It seems to me that they were so taken with the newness, relative rarity, and design elements of the MV that they forgot to actually compare the bikes. I do believe that the Monster is getting a bit long in the tooth so that has a little to do with it. I also never believe numbers tell the entire story about a bike but the fact does remain that the Monster was faster than the MV in every way.

I think the Monster is like a Porsche 911... every year the 911 gets a bit better, a bit faster, but the outward looks change slowly and steadily so people often forget what a great drivers car it is. The newest Ferrari, Ford GT, Lotus, etc, comes out and everyone gets real excited by the new deisgn. Sure, all the cars are great cars, but to the motor journos the 911 seems familar so they tend to ignore it. In the real world people drive 911s every day and use them in many differnet ways (street, track, touring, etc.) just like Moster users.

Also, when you are spending your hard earned money Ducati parts and service, for what they are, will make you feel a helluva lot better about your purchase than the very iffy MV future.

Ducati Monster... the eveyday, practical, exotic bike ;)

#15 ·
Good analysis Brian. I think you're on to something.

Moto journos are constantly exposed to latest and greatest. The Monster is not about that. We don't get radial brakes. We don't get nitrided forks. But that's not the point. We have what has become classic good looks with some pretty damned good mechanicals (in the higher end bikes) and phenomenally low prices (in the basic bikes).

I'm a traditionalist and the fact that Ducati has kept the Monster fundamentally unchanged while providing technological upgrades is a plus for me. If I were a jaded journo, I might want something all new to keep me engaged.

#16 ·
"I thought that kind of mentality was the reserve of Hayabusa and ZX12 owners!" - Ahemmm,,,Easy there Bing....

I've got a ZX12R,,, and an old ZX11 (with 40k fast two up miles on it),,, but I, nor do all big bore jap bike owners play that "my penis is bigger than yours" game. That crap is reserved for insecure twits and they happen to ride all makes of bikes.

BTW - The ZX12R is a hoot to ride! There's nothing like power wheelying a bike down the hilly New England backroads!!!!

#17 ·
I am very happy with my purchase and don't really think I would have been influenced by a bike magazine review. It is all about what I want/what I like. I don't care about power to weight ratios. Besides I flunked math. I will have my S4R till I pass along to that big track in the sky... (at least that is what the wife said)

#18 ·
Sorry to all those ZX12 and Hayabusa owners out there. I guess my comment was no more valid than a magazines test of motorcycles. Except that both may be right some of the time. I love reading bike mags but they are designed for one thing. To sell more motorcycles. Sell more motorcycles then more people buy more magazines. Chicken or egg? And is desire really suffering? Do I have too much time on my hands?

Yes.

#19 ·
No problem Bing, my reply was a lighthearted correction to begin with so don't lose any sleep over it ;D

One thing is for sure, mags are biased. A few years back they said the new BMW GS1150 was the greatest thing since sliced bread. We'll it happened that the wife and I did a tour of the Alps and rented one a year later. I hated it. What a toad of a motorcycle (no offence to any GS owners out there ;D). It was ovrweight, underpowered and worse of all, it hurt my butt! I should have went with my gut instinct and rented the K bike.......

G
#20 ·
All things considered.....Before I purchased my S4R I looked at all of those other bikes and came to the following conclusions....

1) MV Agusta - Have fun finding a dealership within your area and getting work done.

2) Tuono - Wanted to look at one but the silly price tag of the racing version for what you get didn't justify it. Nor could I even get to look at one up close.

3) Buell - Sorry to all those Buell owners but they really need to get their act together before trying to compete in this market. There are things about the Buell that click with me but the overall performance and problems made me look elsewhere.

4) S4R - I flipped when it first came out since I have been in love with the single sided swingarm design since seeing the 916 the first time. I wasn't sure about the Duc because of the lack of dealers and also the issues about maint. The price was high and the reviews were not to flattering but after I made the jump I have yet to look back.

I am satisfied with my purchase 100% and this is by far the best and most fun bike I have owned out of 8.

Just my opinion and I am sure I am biased due to ownership.

Liter

G
#21 ·
The fact that people buy more magazines wihen they are looking at new bikes is almost a cetainity.

If you do not do the reseach, you should, or you may regret your purchase.

I know I looked at all the magazines before I bought my Monster Dark 750. My wife told me. :p

The best test is how you react to the bike. If you love it, buy it. 8)

I think the magazines love the Japanese bikes, although they say they have no character. They say the Ducati's have character but they love the Japanese bikes more? Advertizing dollars at work here?

They love the Buell's since thet are a sporty Harley-Davidson. I think they would be cruicified if they said somethimng bad about Harley Davison.

They also say the Ducati's have the best looks and are the most romantic.

Tom.

#22 ·
I read a comparison in one of the Brit bike magazines that included the 620 Monster. The way they described it, I had to go look in the garage to see if I had the same bike. Then I just had to go for a ride. ;D They were WAAAAY wrong. I think Don hit the nail on the head; Monsters undergo an evolution, not a revolution. If it's not new, radically revised (flashy new paint?) or some such, they're not really interested. I'm happy with my bike and that's the important thing. It's my first Duc but hopefully it won't be my last! Besides, just like my Triumph, any Ducati is a classic!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.