Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come spring time I am going to need a new bike. However, in this economy this dictates that I should start saving now.

But how much I need to save is going to be dictated by whichever bike I end up on. So help me out here.

What are the differences between the Monster S4R and the S4Rs? Is it worth what amounts to an extra $4k in most cases to spring for the Rs designation?

I'm hoping for something in the 2007 to 2008 range, less than 7000 miles, maybe even adult owned. Won't have the scratch scraped together until the spring, but I am in the process of selling my 05 M1000ds, so I will have a base of savings to start from.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I owned S and non-S models. For years I though spending money on the S model was silly.

I was WRONG.

By all means buy an S4RS (I have one). It is a great bike and the suspensions make the bike so much better it is not even funny. Especially since you are buying used, the S model will not cost you much more, go for it and have tons of fun.

·
Registered
99 Posts
depends how hard u drive an what u want to use it for

I have an S4R and for my level of driving it's more than enough

the problem is I don't like the paint scheme of the S... I prefer the titanium grey

having white wheels is "rice" imo......

and gold ohlins on a titanium bike wouldn't work either...

the power and the brakes are the same..

the S get's some "trick" CF bits and ohlins all around.. but these are "OEM" ohlins.. not the same as the racing/aftermarket units ohlins sells..

if u find a clean low mileage R the by all means buy it... not worth waiting indeffinately for an S u might not find...

u can always mod ur R if u feel the need..

but a well tuned and dialled in suspension on the standard Showa's.. will stil be amazing..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a bad, and expensive habit, of changing out suspension parts on any bike, car, bicycle or anything I own.

I'm going to end up changing the dampeners, and the rear spring. Just going to be how it is.

Not going to lie, I do like the "Tri-Colore" version. Call me a rice tool bag all you want, but its rad.

·
Registered
99 Posts
what ever floats your boat mate..

u wont have trouble selling the ohlins after if u do decide to go that route..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts