Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
ducatis v-twin is unmatched, so that is what i would go with, and no im not just saying that because im buying a 2006 s4r with 600 miles on it in two days ;). But seriously think about it, yamaha vs. DUCATI!!!
It will hit you soon enough and you will make the right decision. i just know it

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
S4r - never ridden one so I can't comment on it. Although I'm sure there are some guys on here that can.

Fz1 - I've got a first gen (04) Fz1 and their inline 4 is amazing! I use my Fz1 as a touring bike and my Ducati as a Sunday play bike. I can tell you the Fz1 has a pretty good seating position, awesome brakes, good handling, more power than you can use and is a great bike. I've put 22k in the last 4 years and plan on putting a lot more on it before I'm done. Already have a trip up trough Mighigan and then back down through the UP planned for September and might have to make another run down to the Dragon.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S4r - never ridden one so I can't comment on it. Although I'm sure there are some guys on here that can.

Fz1 - I've got a first gen (04) Fz1 and their inline 4 is amazing! I use my Fz1 as a touring bike and my Ducati as a Sunday play bike. I can tell you the Fz1 has a pretty good seating position, awesome brakes, good handling, more power than you can use and is a great bike. I've put 22k in the last 4 years and plan on putting a lot more on it before I'm done. Already have a trip up trough Mighigan and then back down through the UP planned for September and might have to make another run down to the Dragon.
Well this bike will be my sunday play bike but it could potentially become my only bike. This is one reason I am worried a bit about the monster. Not enough room for my wife (though only occasionally) and too much wind pressure for touring...

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
My wife doesn't mind riding on the back of the monster, but honestly I'm not a big fan of riding two up on it. With the pitch of the bike and massive weight shift under breaking I really feel her back there, and she's little (115). One up though, it's all you could ask for in a bike.

I think my wife likes riding the Ducati more though, at the end of last summer she was riding it more than her Ninja250r.

·
Registered
100 Posts
until you bought which Duc? What made you switch? Any helpful impressions?
Traded my Super-Hawk in on it. Loved the power and the comfort but missed the sound and the slim feel. Anyway i traded it for a V-strom for better luggage capacity and general commuter-bike then bought the Monster for sunny days. I'll never buy another 4 unless it's a V4.
If you can only have one bike and it needs to do it all with a luggage/passenger bias, I'd get a V-strom. If you need all-around with emphasis on speed (and you like an inline4), it's hard to beat the 1st gen FZ1. The 2nd gen FZ1 is faster and better suspended but a less capable all-arounder.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! Will post some pics in a few days. Dark now - snow in the forecast for tomorrow - go figure.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Great bike, you'll enjoy it congrats! The first time you flip it into second gear around 90 while screaming whoohooo inside your help you'll know what I mean. And if you don't ride it like that, well it's still pretty great!

Can't wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My newbutshittyjapbikethateveryoneowns :)

Pretty shiny. Fast and smooth. Good wind protection. Got ~50 miles in today at 30 degree weather. now it's snowing :-(

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts