Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

I was wondering if anybody out there can help me with a problem I'm having.

I recently purchased a used '05 S4R, (my second monster), and every time I fill up the tank it stinks of raw gas and drips gas out of a drain hose behind the clutch cover.

The previous owner removed the charcoal canister. Could he have done something incorrectly?

I've tried filling up the tank less, but even at 1/2" below the rim, it still does it. Only riding the bike for 20 miles or so will stop the symptoms, so it's obviously a fuel level issue, right?

I've raised the tank and checked for a kinked hose or something, but all the hoses look OK.

I sure would would appreciate any input on this.

THANK YOU!

Steve Ring
[email protected]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Assuming you have a plastic tank...mine does the same thing. There is a plastic, injection molded hose/tube the runs from the breather area near the cap to the base of the right side of the tank and connects to the nipple that feeds that rubber drain hose. I'm positive mine has a small pinhole or crack somewhere in the upper 2/3 of this plastic tube. Once it gets below a certain level it stops dripping. Yours likely has met the same fate. About the only fix aside from somehow getting in there, locating the hole a patching it would be tank replacement. As part of the emissions package, fuel tanks carry a 5 year warranty. Get with your dealer and have them start the process.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Most 05's came with the steel tank unless it was produced after november if my memory serves me right. But if it has the steel tank and the previous owner took off the canister incorrectly it would drip overflow/expanded gas. happened on mine. you need to fallow the overflow lines and see if there is one that reconnects to the air box like it should. from the tank to the airbox sould be a single line for the fumes and exess gas to get burned. simple fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts