Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No problem. Our bikes are 10 years old, and I just think certain components start to go. Even if you mess with it and get it to work, for what, another year? Best to spend the $45 for a new one and forget about it for 10 more years.
Enjoy your S4RS - such a fun bike!

·
Registered
491 Posts
:grinYou're getting your panties in a knot for nothing. Those are " parade fans " , that is, they will only do any good at low speeds. The air flow through the radiator exceeds the output of those fans very quickly once you're out of town and they do nothing useful. Your actual problem is that you're going too slow.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've had cars before with auxiliary fans that I just hooked up to a switch so I could turn them on when I saw the temp rising .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh totally! I'm on board with the air flow, just rolling down my long driveway creates flow. From a practical point of view, man you would have to be so jammed in traffic to have those fans kick on but hey it's a challenge. For me it's the enjoyment in getting it sorted.

·
Registered
491 Posts
To tell the truth, I can't remember if I've ever seen mine run. I'm pretty sure I don't care one way or the other, though. If I ever become convinced they aren't working , or that I care , I'll hook up a switch.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You guys must be lucky enough to live in an area​ with little to no traffic. Since I fixed my fans 2 months ago, they've had to activate 3 times on hot days in traffic. And just for reference, a few years ago I got stuck in traffic and ended up warping the rear cylinder head on my '95 900 SS (no fans or temp gauges). My buddy behind me at a stop light said "why is there blue smoke coming out of one of your mufflers?". $1600 lesson learned.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You must live somewhere hot.
Yes, South New Jersey. But everywhere is hot now with climate change. Going to be 98 in Portland, Oregon this weekend - record highs. Most don't even have air conditioning there - so much for that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
I just don't do any big cities. Closest one with over 5 stoplights is 25 miles away and I usually take the bagger because I'm there to buy something.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts