Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any S4R peeps removed the emissions cannister? I'd like to do it, so I'm looking for "after" pix and any advice out there.

S

·
0 Posts
it's very easy (although i don't have an s4r). it's actually easier than on other monsters because the emissions cannister mounting bracket doesn't tie into anything else.

1 - follow hose from emissions cannister to gastank. disconnect this hose from the emissions cannister and run it down the rear of the engine parallel to the other hose you see running back there from the tank.

2 - follow the other hose from the cannister to a "t-fitting" that splices it into two hoses. follow each of these hoses to a fitting in your intake manifolds. loosen the clamps that secure the hoses to these bleeder fittings and remove the hoses. then unscrew the bleeder fittings from the manifolds.

3 - plug the holes in the intake manifolds the those bleeder fittings left with short M5 bolts. use high-temp locktite to secure them. just "snug" tight. don't over torque 'em.

4 - unbold the cannister bracket and toss that useless P.O.S. in the garbage....

now, don't get me wrong. i'm happy to be "green" when the system works. if this emissions do-hickey resulted in a closed system, then hurrah for the EPA. but remember that other hose running down from the tank? that's an overflow line in case you overfill your gastank. it runs directly from the tank to the open atmosphere! "duh!!!" so why bother with this silly cannister? you're PLUGGING the intake manifold bleeders anyways. silly silly silly....

by the way, if you'd like to be a bit "cleaner" and not have two lines running down the back of the engine from the tank, you can harvest that t-fitting from the hosing that went to the intake manifolds, and use it to splice the two wires coming from the gas-tank into one line running down the rear.

good luck, and get rid of that silly thing!

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same, but it looks like it will leave a big hole where the cannister was. I have to re-access.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I took it off my S4R. I did it in about 30 minutes. The hard part was finding a good place to mount the horn. It looks fine without the canister. Better nothing than that ugly box!

S

·
0 Posts
I just finished removing all the emissions stuff and it came out very well. I don't have a digital camera so I can't send you any pics but it is fairly straight foward and it really cleans things up. The post above describes the procedure very accurately, the only other thing I would add is that I remounted the horn using it's own bracket, save one of the little collars that goes behind the screw and use that to put back in the hole that was the lower mounting point for the canister bracket. I had to loosen the horn in it's bracket and flip it over so the wires would route properly and then bend the bracket to a right angle using a vise or something to hold it then remount it and plug it in. I also removed the crankcase breather tank and all the hoses there too. I made a new mounting plate out of a piece of scrap aluminium and used the evoluzione kit from their website that includes the plugs for the airbox and the K&N mini filter for the breather valve. Once you're in there it's all very self explanatory but shout back if you have any questions. I'll also try to find a camera to borrow if you need pics.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I have a question about removing the crankcase breather tank. Is that the gizmo under the seat?
If so, I think I read a post somewhere a loooooong time ago that removing this will cost you HP-sound accurate?

S

·
0 Posts
The gizmo under the seat is indeed the crankcase breather tank. My sources that work on Ducatis for a living say that there is no increase or decrease in HP, it just cleans things up and that if you live in humid environment that it will decrease the condensation in the crankcase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't suppose anyone could snap some pictures could they. Of what you removed and where it is located. For those of us who like pictures please.... Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
I'm still working on the pictures thing. The link above is pretty good (ducatisuite) but it's on a 996 not a monster and it is a little diff. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
elpato-

How the H-E-double toothpicks did you get an S4R for 11,800? I thought mine was a steal for 12,300!

S

·
0 Posts
I'm sorry guys I have not been able to beg borrow or steal a camera to show the emissions mods. If I ever get one I'll post it under a new thread so you'll be sure and see it. :-/

·
Registered
95 Posts
it's very easy (although i don't have an s4r). it's actually easier than on other monsters because the emissions cannister mounting bracket doesn't tie into anything else.

1 - follow hose from emissions cannister to gastank. disconnect this hose from the emissions cannister and run it down the rear of the engine parallel to the other hose you see running back there from the tank.

2 - follow the other hose from the cannister to a "t-fitting" that splices it into two hoses. follow each of these hoses to a fitting in your intake manifolds. loosen the clamps that secure the hoses to these bleeder fittings and remove the hoses. then unscrew the bleeder fittings from the manifolds.

3 - plug the holes in the intake manifolds the those bleeder fittings left with short M5 bolts. use high-temp locktite to secure them. just "snug" tight. don't over torque 'em.

4 - unbold the cannister bracket and toss that useless P.O.S. in the garbage....

now, don't get me wrong. i'm happy to be "green" when the system works. if this emissions do-hickey resulted in a closed system, then hurrah for the EPA. but remember that other hose running down from the tank? that's an overflow line in case you overfill your gastank. it runs directly from the tank to the open atmosphere! "duh!!!" so why bother with this silly cannister? you're PLUGGING the intake manifold bleeders anyways. silly silly silly....

by the way, if you'd like to be a bit "cleaner" a

·
Registered
500 Posts
Another simple option - I removed the "canister" and the one hose that went to the plastic "T". I then just plugged the unused "T" connection with vacuum cap and rerouted the larger tube to the other side of the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have heard that in CA it is illegal to remove the emissions canister. Has anyone heard anything along those lines? Would it even be enforced?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
everyone is removing the emissions control but no one has said anything about performance, is there any benefit to removing it? I know on my bike a Suzuki TL1000R there is a benefit but not all bikes have the same setup and dont always benefit from it aside from a cleaner engine compartment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just went and snapped some pics of mine but they are to large to post, sorry Dan

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
This is an excellent thread and I'm learning a lot. I too want to remove that thing. To the person who wonders why remove it, I can tell you what my dealer said. He said that if you overfill your gas tank, and I mean if you go all the way to the top, then gas goes down that overflow tube to your emissions canister and fills it up with gas, mixing with the charcoal that is in there. After that, your bike will not run well and you will be lucky to get home from the gas station. So the lesson is, remove it, or always leave at least half an inch of air space between the top of the tank and the gas when filling up. . . . .. .. . Oh yeah, when you remove it, you're supposed to send it to California so it can be buried with honors. LOL

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I recently removed mine and it was a snap. TPO makes a great kit, with all the stuff you'll need. If it's an S4R, make sure you get the Universal kit. I think it's like $15. Looks so much better and cleaner without that hideous box. Only thing you have to do beyond what the kit provides is decide which bolt to reattach the horn to, but there a few options. It's really simple...

http://www.tpoparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=511635b2ffb7cbba3ac3f6fae015b2bf

1 - 20 of 30 Posts