Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Within a few days I will have my Sil full system for the MS4R. I will have the dealer trim the standard ecu a bit so the bike won't be running to lean.

But I want to have the fuel mapping to be as good as possible so this will involve dyno tuning.

I suppose the S4R uses the 5.9 ECU.

If found 3 possible solutions:

1. techlusion TFI box
2. Powercommander III ( to be released for S4R)
3. Ultimap U59 ECU

I need your advise on pro and con's, pricing, flexibity, ...

As soon as I have one of the above I will open the aribox and change the airfilter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey yannick,
i posted a little blurb on the speedzilla forum but here's a follow up with some more on each option that i posted a while back. personally, i'd recommend the PCIII, but anyways:

"""
yo...
most simply put, you should have no problems running your bike with aftermarket cans and NO other changes.

here's why...
your stock airbox lid is restrictive enough for intake that it'll prevent the bike from running TOO lean with free-flowing cans installed.

here's more...
NO aftermarket exhaust company offers a replacement chip with their cans for the s4r or any '02+ ducati aside from "ducati performance". this is because the computer in all '02+ bikes doesn't have a replaceable chip in it like previous generations.

more info...
keep in mind that all ducati's are shipped to the US with a mixture that's leaner than ideal to meet EPA emissions standards. this being the case, it's again NOT TOTALLY NECESSARY, but a good idea to tune the fuel injection even if you keep the stock cans! note that a common mod done in conjunction with free-flowing exhaust is to cut open the airbox lid for better intake. if you do this, then you'll DEFINATELY want to tune your fuel injection to prevent a dangerously lean running condition.

what are your options?
1) you cannot remap the stock chip. the mapping is hardcoded in the computer. it's just not an option. however, you CAN tune it for a slightly richer mixture by hooking up the ducati diagnostic (mathesis) computer and altering the allowable CO levels and by changing the TPS (throttle position sensor). this is not the _best_ way to do it but probably the cheapest as long as your dealer's not ripping you off. probably $100 or so (couple hours of labor to fiddle/trial/error).

2) you can get a "tfi" unit(www.techlusion.com). the tfi will allow you to dial in a more ideal mixture based on idle, partial throttle and full throttle. you could do this yourself by "feel" or you can bring the bike to a shop that has a dyno to have it done properly.

3) you can get a powercommander(www.powercommander.com) which works similarly to the tfi unit mentioned above, but allows finer tuning with more adjustability. it's also more expensive (you get what you pay for).

4) last but not least is the Ultimap 5.9(www.fuelinmoto.com.au/ look under "news"). this replaces the stock ecu and is probably the best option on the market but it's also the most expensive.
"""""

as noted on the other forum, if you're not planning on keeping the stock system "just in case", i'd be interested in lifting it from you. lemme know, and definately post results of whatever option you decide to follow!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Strati

Tx for the usefull info.

The bike only just has 2.500 KM so I only took it to 9.500 rpm. The rush was incredible, big difference against my "old" S4 with the DP performance kit.

I will have to keep the original mufflers, because from next year on, there will be an inspection from the state before you can sell the bike, so it will have to have the original eq installed. That's why I didin't contact you to core the original mufflers ::)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"only" 9500 rpms, eh? that's the regular s4's redline. hot dog yannick, sounds like a barrel of fun ;)
no worries on the exhaust system. woulda been interesting to have a spare system to disect around, but i'm sure one will turn up locally anyways.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
ducati.com shows the power curve for the S4R going up to 10,500.

But then again, it shows that for the S4 also. I know mine won't turn 10,500.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"only" 9500 rpms, eh? that's the regular s4's redline. hot dog yannick, sounds like a barrel of fun ;)
no worries on the exhaust system. woulda been interesting to have a spare system to disect around, but i'm sure one will turn up locally anyways.
Don't worry strati, you will be ripping mine apart soon....>Dennis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.