Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy ya'll,
I went for a ride Saturday. I warmed my bike up until the temps registered. I did get a little rambunctious and tapped the rev limiter when I headed up the road. After stopping for gas, I hit the interstate and immediately felt like the road was very rough. I then realized I had a vibration bad enough that I could feel it through the tank, seat, and pegs.
At first I thought bad gas, then front end. But it rides smooth and tracks straight w/ no hands I, so I'm afraid something is wrong with my motor.
I rode it again today just to make sure. The vibration is apparent at different RPMs and speeds. I just had my 6K service and it was running great. I'm going to call the tech at my dealer tomorrow; I just wanted to get some extra input.
Thanks,
JP

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pilot powers. The front is nearly new, only a few hundred miles. The rear is a bit older, but has plenty of tread.
JP

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
If the vibration is engine related it should diminish if you disengage the clutch. You are best off simply describing the symptoms as accurately as possible and letting the tech do the diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Man your description sounds SO familiar... like riding on a rough road even when it isn't...

You have ridden with these tires pre-vibration correct? Unless you can see there is a weight missing I question the tire balance theory.

Out of balance tires was part of my vibration problem, but it only showed up at high speeds like over 85 mph. I would have sworn it was anything but the tires. The problem with that vibration is its easy to think it's engine related because if you pull the clutch and chop the throttle the rpms AND speed drop quickly enough that it's tough to tell which is the culprit. I knew immediately after I put on a new front that the old tire being out of balance was part of my problem.

But... I still have a significant vibration on my M800 as compared to other M800s and the weird part is it seems to come and go. Sometimes the bike is smooth as silk, other times I wanna just get off and park the thing it is so bad. The local tuners here think I'm nuts and the dealer's tech did not detect anything when he rode it. But it's the typical deal, it's never at its worst when at the shop.

I'll be interested to find out what your tech thinks. I'd also like to hear if it magically "goes away." Like when you bring it in to the tech. [laugh]

I'm suspecting intermittent funky ECU fuel management or perhaps timing, but I have no idea exactly how the 5.9 ecu is tweaking things or whether that's even a valid theory, but it seems NOONE else does either. It's the only thing I can think of that would cause intermittent vibration.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to Stewart at Advanced Motorsports in Dallas. He asked me about tires first. Then he said I should inspect the clutch, then make sure my sprockets and chain were OK. Then he said it could be a loose flywheel if everything else checked out.
When I told him I was near Little Rock, he told me they had a guy coming my way today to deliver a bike. He said if I wanted, I could have the guy swing by and pick it up so he could look at it himself. So I went ahead and took the opportunity to save myself a trip to Dallas. Hopefully, Stewart will check it out Friday or Monday and I can pick it up the following weekend.
JP.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
After stopping for gas, I hit the interstate and immediately felt like the road was very rough.
This is sounding more and more like the vibe I'm getting. I swear it sometimes comes on suddenly after a stop and restart. Maybe I AM nuts...

Have you ridden the bike since the first occurrence and is the vibe still there?

I've been living with this so long that I forget how bad it is until I ride someone else's bike then it becomes painfully obvious again.

I have checked ALL of the things Stewart mentioned to you including flywheel and clutch nuts to no avail.

I hope they find an obvious source of the vibration for you. If they don't welcome to the club. It's very frustrating.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This vibration is pretty constant and only increases in frequency with RPMs. It is there at various speeds and is more than just the vibration from lugging the motor accelerating from too high a gear. I hope it is something simple.
To be honest, I love my bike; its one of my favorite possessions. But I will not own something that eats at me constantly. Its just not worth being unhappy over. If for some reason I can't get it fixed, I will trade it for something else.
JP

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Check your engine mounting bolts
I Did. No luck.

I keep hoping to find something that obvious, but it ain't happening. In my case I'm about ready to try having the motor balanced, but I'd REALLY hate to put that money into it only to find that the vibe is still there.

But I will not own something that eats at me constantly.
Good point. I know from where you speak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts