Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I bought my first Ducati in 2003, a used 750 Senna, red rims and all.

Eventually sold the Senna and bought my second Ducati in 2006, a brand new S4r.

Now, all these years later, I am planning a build to transform the S4r into an adventure bike.

[cue the purist rage]

My first thoughts on inherent obstacles are relating to my suspension geometry, obviously. Ideally I'd like to lengthen the forks, thinking either retrofitting a multistrada front setup, or using a BMW f800, or, last option, to put new Ohlins. I want to take the stock 17 size and go up to 19 or 21.

Second would be the rear swingarm that would also have to be lengthened and I cant see any other way to get around this than custom fabrication. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Then swap out my clip-ons for some pro-tapers, TKC-80's, etc.

I've pretty much sweeped the interwebs and cant find any examples of an S4r (single swingarm) modded to be offroad or adventure, and I'm wondering if this is because someone along the line figured out this was impossible. One of my main concerns is whether any of these mods would cause unsustainable stress to the frame.

I appreciate any and all guidance on this, thank you

·
Registered
881 Posts
I personally would not want a single sider on an adventure bike. My first thought would simply be to lengthen the stock swing arm and give it a try.
Actually, I could see this being a bad idea and I’d want someone to talk me out of it. I’m not going to do that.😁

·
Registered
881 Posts
I didn’t say it wasn’t possible, it wouldn’t even be hard if you could throw money at it. I was just looking at the outcome, another overweight adventure bike. Not worth the effort because the end product won’t be any better than a stock adventure bike, and probably not as good. Sell it and buy what you want, save yourself a lot of work on a bike that won’t be worth more than the sum of its parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts