Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
What are all these phoney auctions that keep poping up! Anything too good to be true is bound to be a scam.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The bike is listed as in the US but the sellers ID is in the UK.

·
Registered
599 Posts
No worries, I just reported the auction to ebay. I hate the thought of some excited kid (much like myself) getting $2,000 stolen from him. Thank you all for keeping an eye out and watching out for everybody!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Re: S4R- $5k on Ebay?  I think not...

Interesting to look at the other items that the seller has....Hmmm...Aprilia Futura for the same price as the S4r.

Also a pair of Tartan Baby Pajamas. More along the lines of the seller's EBay 'shop' - NIKKIS BARGAIN BASEMENT BONANZA.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
On the 999 Testaretta, I received the following reply from the "seller" when I asked him where he was and when I could have the bike in Alaska (where I live)"

"right now i am in east of europe in country of romania....you can pay me via western union and i will send you the bike via a special delivery via Express Forward or Shipp Star Service,and i will pay for all the shipping taxes and the insurance and you will receive the bike in around 72hours or maybe less directlly to your door"

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yeah, that other one was a good one too. Bike in UK, but seller in Canada. And no feedback.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah,

I think these things work just like email spam: They don't care that 99.9% of people know it's a scam. They are looking for the 5 or 10 people who don't know better (or are greedy) and will send off a "deposit" money order or something.

It's usually only a "deposit," but hey 5 people sending you $2,000 makes for a nice income.

These things are all over: Ebay, Craiglist, Cycletrader, some big newspapers.... It appears that the gullible are open to exploitation in the brave new world--I never hear about the cops worldwide getting these scammers. It's sad: when I sold my bike, I had to tell the buyer no way when he wanted to bring a cashier's check (on the weekend). Just couldn't take a chance with all the counterfeits out there.

Oh well, like the lottery..these scams are a tax on the reality/math-challenged.

--Scammed Out--

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah.

I feel like I'm kinda insulting people, but I just explain it to them: "Sorry, but there are lots of scammy things going around. I don't mean to imply that you are a bad person, but my bank told me not to accept cashier's checks." That's a fib, but I just can't chance losing thousands to a counterfeit check.

Sad, but that's the modern world....

--Sad Tom--

R

·
0 Posts
Another option to the cash-only method is to accompany the buyer to their bank and have them wire the funds right there or draw the casheir's check right there. A bit of a hassle, but worth it as it means you're guaranteed the money is there.

When I bought my Monster last year, I paid with a personal check from my Vanguard money market account. The seller was a super cool guy who I sort of "clicked" with... too much, actually as I didn't drive a very hard bargain because I liked the guy so much.. it was great for mutual trust in the deal, but in retrospect, we were both a bit foolishly trusting of one another... it worked out great in this instance, but I shudder when I see stories like the recent one in Seattle of a guy getting stabbed and mugged while trying to sell his bike...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Wow. "Same" bike, different seller.

Is there a fraud email at ebay you can report these to?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Re: S4R- $5k on Ebay?  I think not...

He's got a 'Busa for the same price....

How lucky we are to have such wondeful folks on EBay, selling bikes at a fraction of their actual dealer cost. Warms my heart to see such philanthropy in this cold, hard world.

Hmmm.....S4R..'Busa......S4R..'Busa......S4R..'Busa......S4R..'Busa?

Which one should I buy? Well, hell, they're cheap, I'll get 'em both!

:mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts