Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey You all, Just asking if anyone has ever tried stuffing a liquid cooled 4v into a '97 M900 2v frame and bodywork. I am wondering what it would entail as far as permanent type mods to the frame and gas tank. Appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The biggest challenge (keep in mind that I've never actually done it) will be accomodating the "brain" box & welding mounts for the radiator. But, since everybody knows that a water cooled bike isn't a REAL monster, why not just build up the motor you have & spank all the water cooled guys?

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
It is doable (anything is with unlimited $$$ and time).

But if you are married or if you are not a millionaire, I would suggest as did Norm. You have access to a lot of power w/ a 2v motor.

it be through forced induction or big bore kits is up to your budget and knowledge.

back on topic:

it is doable, I know some crazy euro-num-nut hooligan has done it.

Norm hit the nail on the head with the radiator mounts and the "brain". BUT, Ducati did go to a 4v liquid cooled on the monster, so I am sure you could source a lot of parts from ebay and/or ducati directly.

Q

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
As Norm said, there will need to be some welding, or other crafty fabrication of mounting points for the radiator and different oil cooler config. You'd need a different gas tank to support the Fuel Injections system vs your carbs. Might also have to do some creative rearranging of wries and electronic brains that you're going to be adding along with the engine. It's a big project...

A similar project, that might not take quite as much effort would be to snag an M1000 motor. You'll still need a different tank - but you won't have the radiators to wrry about.

Or... like norm said, you could take the money you'd sped on the 4v engine, tank, ECU labor blah blah and beef up the m900. You've got a lot of options there. High comp pistons, puston bore kits, even a bigger bore + Dual spark head....

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
The other thing to think about is footpeg mounting. The S4R has the pegs mounted to the swingarm pivot, whereas the footpeg brackets mount to the frame and engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts