Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding today at about 55mph went to shift from 4th to 5th gear and didnot hit the shifter very hard the bike slipped out of gear as if it was in nuetral.I revved it a few times hit the shifter up again and it popped into 5th.Is this ok or is there something wrong it only happened once but I only have about 200mi. on the bike.Thanks for any help.Dennis ???

G

·
Re: s4r

happened to me when I was just getting a feel for the bike. Still happens to me when I am lazy. Just need to shift like you mean it.

G

·

No Sweat. The monster gearbox seems a little more prone to flase neutral than some other bikes. I've hit it only once on mine, and that's the only time it's ever happened in 5 years of riding.

I don't know the details on this but apparently shifting UP is the right thing to do. Apparently shifting down from a false neutral has a higher potential to damage the transmission.

G

·
I've done this twice, usually my 3rd to 4th gear shift. It seems a hair softer then the rest of the gears. I had it happen one day and I had to pull over since it just would not go back into gear without stopping.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts

happened to me when I was just getting a feel for the bike. Still happens to me when I am lazy. Just need to shift like you mean it.
I agree , you need to shift like you mean it!!! I call the "false neutrals" , operator error, and I usually say to myself, " ya dumb sh!t, shift it right!!" :-[

·
Registered
413 Posts
Its happened to my s4r twice from 1st to 2nd. The first time it happened was the first time I took my bike above 6k when it passed the 600mi mark Before it happened I had this "allright lets see what this thing can do" thought.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Some Ducatis shift better than others. My 97 M900 missed its first shift (4th-5th) about 20 miles from the dealer on the way home. It has probably had several hundred false neutrals in its 19,600 miles.

I moved the shift lever down about half an inch to get better pressure during upshifts and just tried to concentrate on not making lazy shifts. If you are one of the "lucky ones" with a transmission like mine, you eventually learn how to quickly correct the situation (i.e., get it into the right gear).

I'm expecting my next bike to shift better.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

I've had many false neutrals and I've revved the p!ss out of the bike a few times when it happened!

My mechanic recommended that I keep the lever up until I have released the clutch and that would prevent the problem. It took me a while to retrain myself and I mostly do it that way. When I miss a shift, it's ALWAYS because I didn't hold the lever up.

Try it.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts

I called BCM about this once and what they did was confirm my hunch-don't pansy around-just hit those gears hard.
Do what you mean, mean what you do...If you know what I mean ??? ??? ;D

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have the same problem on my 620, scared the xxxx out of me first time it happened, 10 miles from the dealership. Since then I have been shifting more solidly and it hasn't happened if I don't get "lazy" then. It can still be a little unnerving while you are speeding up fast to get out of trouble, though...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Re: s4r  missed shift please help

I've got a 17" titanium rod holding my right femur together because of one of them there false neutrals.

99F4 - worst gearbox ever put on any modern motorcycle. Lasted one year before Honda replaced the box. Would false neutral all over the place. Not a big deal until to get one at a time and place where you can't afford it.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts

Actually, never "kick" or stomp the shifter. The internal parts, while stout, can be bent or the claw hammered too much by repeated abuse.

But you do have to shift Ducs very positively. If you repeatedly find false nuetrals on upshifts, consider adjusting the linkage to move the toe piece on the shifter down no more than 1/4" and riding for a few days or a couple hundred miles and see if it helps. If not try another 1/4" down. I've found it easier to naturally make up for wherever the shifter is on downshifts, but the adjustment is critical for upshifts to get the most positve shift with the least wasted motion getting my toe under the shifter and then lifting for the shift.

·
Registered
45 Posts

i dont know how it effects italian bikes, may be someone can make some input, but i pretty much 90% of them time up shift jap bikes without using clutch lever. It seems to be working great on italian bike as well. never missed a shift :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts