Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this before but I guess with the site down it got lost somehow. But here is the skinny, went out about two weeks ago tried starting the S4 when it was cold. All it did was sputter when you first started to crank it over. I wore the battery down so I charged it. Went out Saturday to try and start it same thing all i got was a sputter once you tried to crank it over. The kill switch is in the right spot. pulled a plug to see if I was getting spark, I was getting spark. I can smell fuel so I know its getting fuel. So any ideas to help or to go by.

S

·
0 Posts
WhRe: S4 wont start

Not sure if this will help or not, but I had the same problem. Make sure all cylinders are getting spark, my connector fell off one of the coils to the #2 cylinder and the bike wouldn't start. A good indicator of this is the tach which won't work if this happens, you should be able to see the tach jump a bit when turning the bike over. Other than that check all your injector connections. Have you recently done work on the bike?

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
well, are you checking your battery with a volt meter? maybe its the charging system. My bike needs a strong battery to kick it over when its cold. I have an Oddessy battery and I keep it on a tender when its in the garage.

Oh, I just re read your post, did you not get it started the first time, and then it still would not start with a charged battery? If so, make sure your battery is getting to full charge and holding.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It didnt start after I drained the battery. I put it on the tender and it has no problems turning over, but still wont start.

D

·
0 Posts
I had some prolems with my S4 not starting a while back and came to find out it was the dam security key.
Guess you've already checked this ?.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried the Red key and both black ones but it will turn over just wont start.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I think that after a long winter's rest, the extra urgency of an auto-battery jump is a good thing to try.

Woke my bike last Sunday. Thought she wasn't going to start either. The battery was almost spent when she kicked over and ran like been out just the day before.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has been in the 50's here in Maryland. Tried the jumping it off with the truck but still nothing it will just crank. When I first tried it last week it would sputter on the initial crank but it wouldnt catch. Now it doesnt even do that.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Do you have only 1 key up at the ignition.2 or more keys will confuse the imobliser. Be sure to have only 1 key. Tim

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is the kickstand up? Or did they remove that wonderful saftey feature on the '02 (I have an '01)?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tried it with the kickstand up and down. Nothing

V

·
0 Posts
i was told to NOT stick the red key in the ignition under threat of torture by the duck dealer. I forget exactly why, but maybe to reset the computer. or some such crap.
I just remember the salesman said If I stick the red key in the ignition it will cost me 1200.00 for new computer. 2002 s4. Was I fed a line??

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
The 2 black keys are for normal bike operation the red key serves the same functions as the black keys also it is used to reprogram the black keys if needed (page 14 owners manual). If you loose the red key and have imobliser problems that might cost you the 1200 that the dealer was referring to.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
It has been in the 50's here in Maryland. Tried the jumping it off with the truck but still nothing it will just crank. When I first tried it last week it would sputter on the initial crank but it wouldnt catch. Now it doesnt even do that.
If the bike is cranking, the immobilizer discussion is irrelevant to this question.

Given that your bike did sputter last week, but not catch, you may have loaded up the plugs. I'd pull them and wire-brush them if they look black. Then reinstall and try again.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Used a wire brush cleaned off the plugs real good thought I had cleaned the plugs off good enough before but evidently I didnt. Cleaned them up, put them in and it fired up.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Hey cool. It's nice to be useful now and then ;D

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
How many miles on your bike? Original plugs I guess?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only 800 miles on it original plugs took the wirebrush to them. Put them back in and it fired right up. Guess I fouled them when I tried to start it around 30 degrees. Some new plugs on the way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts