Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,622 Posts
I guess the first question I would ask is: What is your riding experience? While all Ducatis have relatively smooth and even power delivery, the 4 valvers (S4, S4R, S4RS, etc) have considerably more power than a 695.

Maintenance costs are higher on a 4-valve model as well.

Some prefer the looks of the air cooled monsters as well since there is no additional plumbing or radiators cluttering things up.

I had an '01 S4. Great bike.

· Registered
9,093 Posts
mnster said:
I've been riding for a couple of years. Currently ride a Yamaha R6.

Saw a 01' S4 on ebay for 6K. Trying to see if it is worth buying a 6 year old monster.
How many miles on that '01 S4?
Any mods?

G

·
I just picked up a S4 for less than $7k. Although the maintenance is higher than the 2 valve, it's much worth it. I don't think I'll ever get rid of this bike! [thumbsup]

· Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Weren't the s4's more prone to dragging hard parts on the pavement than the s4r and RS? I especially like the ease of maintenance when changing a rear wheel or doing chain adjustments. May as well be a shaft drive it's so easy.

LA

· Registered
9,093 Posts
potomacduc said:
This looks like a smokin' deal for anybody that's shopping for an S4:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001...ryZ49988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
2718 miles in 5 years :eek:
That's a crime.
Hopefully the new owner will appreciate it.

LA said:
Weren't the s4's more prone to dragging hard parts on the pavement than the s4r and RS? I especially like the ease of maintenance when changing a rear wheel or doing chain adjustments. May as well be a shaft drive it's so easy.

LA
The S4 will indeed drag stuff earlier than the R or RS, but that's well beyond *my* comfort zone on the street.
YMMV.

· Premium Member
8,486 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
I prefer the styling of the dual sided swing arm over the single sider, but I wouldn't mind having the better performance of the s4r! LOL
Kind of make me wonder if it be possible to buy an old S4 & convert it to a hybrid with the S4R S Testastretta? For example, what if i bought an old 2002 DUCATI MONSTER S4 with a 916cc, 4 valve & decided to switch to the 4-valve per cylinder, 998 Testastretta L-Twin engine? ;D
somebody has already attempted that project.... it's probably still in pieces in his garage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.