Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between the S4 and S4R? Is the old S4 comparable to the S2R?

Seen some 2001 S4 Monsters for sale, wondering if it's a good purchase or not?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I guess the first question I would ask is: What is your riding experience? While all Ducatis have relatively smooth and even power delivery, the 4 valvers (S4, S4R, S4RS, etc) have considerably more power than a 695.

Maintenance costs are higher on a 4-valve model as well.

Some prefer the looks of the air cooled monsters as well since there is no additional plumbing or radiators cluttering things up.

I had an '01 S4. Great bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been riding for a couple of years. Currently ride a Yamaha R6.

Saw a 01' S4 on ebay for 6K. Trying to see if it is worth buying a 6 year old monster.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Randimus Maximus said:
It was a very low speed high side, and the damage was very minimal and cosmetic.
Is the price difference on the one from ebay and what you sold yours for what it would cost to fix the damage? I was under the impression to got a fair price for yours...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
mnster said:
I've been riding for a couple of years. Currently ride a Yamaha R6.

Saw a 01' S4 on ebay for 6K. Trying to see if it is worth buying a 6 year old monster.
How many miles on that '01 S4?
Any mods?

G

·
I just picked up a S4 for less than $7k. Although the maintenance is higher than the 2 valve, it's much worth it. I don't think I'll ever get rid of this bike! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Weren't the s4's more prone to dragging hard parts on the pavement than the s4r and RS? I especially like the ease of maintenance when changing a rear wheel or doing chain adjustments. May as well be a shaft drive it's so easy.

LA

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
potomacduc said:
This looks like a smokin' deal for anybody that's shopping for an S4:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001...ryZ49988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
2718 miles in 5 years :eek:
That's a crime.
Hopefully the new owner will appreciate it.

LA said:
Weren't the s4's more prone to dragging hard parts on the pavement than the s4r and RS? I especially like the ease of maintenance when changing a rear wheel or doing chain adjustments. May as well be a shaft drive it's so easy.

LA
The S4 will indeed drag stuff earlier than the R or RS, but that's well beyond *my* comfort zone on the street.
YMMV.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
I prefer the styling of the dual sided swing arm over the single sider, but I wouldn't mind having the better performance of the s4r! LOL
Kind of make me wonder if it be possible to buy an old S4 & convert it to a hybrid with the S4R S Testastretta? For example, what if i bought an old 2002 DUCATI MONSTER S4 with a 916cc, 4 valve & decided to switch to the 4-valve per cylinder, 998 Testastretta L-Twin engine? ;D
somebody has already attempted that project.... it's probably still in pieces in his garage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts