Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen dyno plots for a 2001 S4 with termis/air box ECU kit--but not header (?) of 105-ish. Stock was 101. I think I remember seeing power numbers in Cycleworld for S4R of 117. How is it stock to stock diff is 16 hp vs. 29 rated? I am guesssing different dynos, engine variability?

Bottom line: How much faster is a S4R than a S4--does the S4 get crushed in real world speed?

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
ttraynor said:
I have seen dyno plots for a 2001 S4 with termis/air box ECU kit--but not header (?) of 105-ish. Stock was 101. I think I remember seeing power numbers in Cycleworld for S4R of 117. How is it stock to stock diff is 16 hp vs. 29 rated? I am guesssing different dynos, engine variability?

Bottom line: How much faster is a S4R than a S4--does the S4 get crushed in real world speed?
they're measured differently (s4 at the rear wheel and s4r at the crank).

they're close enough that it would come down to the rider.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
ttraynor said:

Different gear boxes as well. IIRC, the S4 has a close ratio box and the S4R a wide ratio one.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
ducatania said:
Different gear boxes as well. IIRC, the S4 has a close ratio box and the S4R a wide ratio one.
yup... 6th gear on the s4 is like 5th on the s4r.

i'd actually give that advantage to the s4 in the twisties.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
derby said:
yup... 6th gear on the s4 is like 5th on the s4r.

i'd actually give that advantage to the s4 in the twisties.
The S4R has way better ground clearance, for the S4 to have any advantage in the twisties.

Also, the hp ratings for the S4 and S4R were both measured at the wheel, at least in 2004 when I bought mine.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
We had pretty thoroughly hijacked this thread into a 'riding position' thread, so I split that off, find it here:

Riding position in a corner

Please carry on with the original S4 vs. S4R topic. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Old thread--updated. Got the S4 dyno'd with the FULL Ducati kit already in place--sans SPS cam. Came in at 108 with Ducati kit. Tuned it to 110 with Power Commander. Found 4 HP down along 3500-4500 RPM which reduced to almost matching "before" curve toward the "ducati dip" part of the curve (they all seem to flatten at 5000-ish--see new 1098 plot in Cycle World) then building back up to about 4 HP+ 7000-8500, holding onto 2 HP advantage at 9200 RPMs. He dug up a S4R plot on the computer which did no better than my bike--but remember, I have the spaghetti header. He made mention that the S4R owner had the same bike on another dyno and it did a little better, maybe this is a slightly pessimistic dyno.....though he did have a ST4 (?) with kit and tuning doing 115 HP.

What's nice is torque is up about 8% (5 ft/lbs.) better 3500-4000-ish where one might goose it off a cruising pace . I feel it was a succesful endeavor as it is improving upon the Ducati ECU set-up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts