Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the used S4 i was lookin at is sold So now Im in limbo between an 02 S4 and an 04 S4R. Both bikes are brand new. There is about $3k difference on price out the door.

Has anyone test ridden both? Opinions comments appreciated

Both are gorgeous bikes Im just in limbo right now and tryin to get some outside feedback on both bikes

S

·
0 Posts
depends on what you're after and what you're willing to justify spending AFTER the sale too...

i've got an s4 and LOVE it. but to sound loony, i want more power. s4r's got a reasonable leg up on power and with a full exahust system, open airbox and decent mapping, it should make about 120 at the rear wheel. about 10% more than a comprably equipped s4.

·
Registered
403 Posts
aint nothing wrong with the s4

love my s4 also, but if I had the cash......it would be the s4r......more power grrrrrrrrr.

R

·
0 Posts
I have ridden both back to back. THe S4R has a noticable power increase over the S4. Very Noticable. If money is not a huge issue, I would and did go with the S4R.

Now for the downside. You will be lmited on aftermarket parts for around a year. You look through the sponsers and see all this cool stuff. Very little of it is for teh S4R. But I am sure that will change in time.....

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Well.......

S4R does have more HP, but my S4 at 102 RWHP is enough for me.
I've seen 130 indicated, and had more stick left, so I'm fine....

Things the S4R has that I wish my S4 had:
Wide Ratio Transmission... :mad: I'm gonna be pissed about that for a long while.
Natural (silver) color radiator
Oil cooler - probably don't need it, but I'd like to have it just the same...
Tubular Handlebar
Better looking mirrors - but I already bagged a set of 'em for my bike :)
Suspension might be a little better?

Things the S4R has that I'm glad my S4 doesn't:
The cow stomach on the exhaust... makes me queasy:-X
The SSS...just doesn't light my fire. Other folks lust big over 'em.
No rear hugger.... ??? Rear tire throws mung on the back of the engine, the shock, and the cow stomach (generates both rural and refinery smells, depending).
No parts manual on ducati.com....Strati and I Co-Rant on that regularly ;D

I'm admittedly biased, but I recommend gettin' the S4, and using the extra cake to doll it up however you see fit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the rear mudguard thing is interesting and something i had never though of

though on the positive my shop offered a steal of a deal on some magnesium marchesini rims

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
mudguard's not a big deal, just seems curious.

So, S4 with mag marchesinis vs. S4R, is that the comparison?

But that still leaves minimum $1k on the table, yes?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no the mag marchesinis are for the s4r.

lookin roughly 3k difference between the s4 and s5r out the door. That is without the mag marchesinis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts