Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The teardown is in the process.
Impressed by some of the self sufficient men here, I, equipped with lights, a garage, manuals, tools, and other shyte hav begun with an S4 tear down.

With labeled bags B.H. [thumbsup] I've removed and disassembled the tank, removed parts I sold, and spilled gas all over me (hand siphons don't work and I want my $6 back).

This afternoon, rear wheel removal for tire and gearing upgrades.
I'm looking into clutch materials as well so please offer any advice for clutch upgrades--not slipper stuff though and I'm not into the fancy plates. Just improvement in clutch engagement/response.

My blog will continue...

R.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Re: Done riding till Dec/Jan...

Bored w/ that bike already? [cheeky]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So...

Spent most of yesterday tearing down and more labelling. Cans are off, so are the rear sets, rear tire, chain, sprockets, and brakes. This bike needed a major cleaning. Looks like the tank isn't selling this week so I might be painting it as well. Would post photos but I left flashdrive at home. Bought more tools as well. I feel like a champ!

R.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts

Pace yourself Champ! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well...

Swingarm cleaned really well yesterday after a slight "fall" off the rearstand last night. I'm stronger than I thought!

Separated all parts to be painted, now for a more thorough cleaning.
Here's a pic of a scratch due to fall.

R.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts

Hey R, We got a parts cleaner at the shop here and if you need things cleaned nice and spotless let me know. Looks good right now bro!! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
346 Posts

Will be working on my garage floor tonight...and then the tear down will begin for me too!

I have also been practicing my Aluminum welding using the tubing I will use for my sub frame.

·
Registered
917 Posts

Looking good Ruben. keep going till there's nothing sitting there except for the motor!

if you need any help let me know. you too Mike. some of the big stuff can get a little hairy without an extra set of hands. wrenching on these things is almost as fun as riding them!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm a bit worried about removing the engine but am looking for ways to support the bike.
Order tires yesterday so I guess I'll wait.

BH, how did you remove the engine? Did you paint engine with engine in bike?

·
Registered
917 Posts

I built a little wooden stand that the motor rests on. it supports it at the base of the horizontal cylinder head (you have to remove the exhaust header), and the rear of the crankcase. the stand is tall enough that when the bike is resting on it, the front tire is off the ground. you can then remove the front wheel, forks, etc. then just undo the eng. bolts, and make sure the wiring harness is free, and the frame lifts right off.

the multi motor is sitting on the stand right now, but if you need to borrow it let me know.

for painting, I built another fixture that supported the motor with a rod running thru the motor mounts. it also allowed me to flip the motor over easily for painting the bottom.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ah ha. The stand makes sense. I was in the process of building a stand (with headers removed) from a 2 inch thick piece of pine I used for a ramp. I actually started cutting it already.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll commence my building this afternoon.

R.

·
Registered
346 Posts

With those kind of pics I am dreaming of Titanium frames... :angel: sweet dreams

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Hey, I'm scared of that rear end right now. I took the jack from under and watched the bike slide backwards!

I just took off the headers though! Ready for polishing or ceramic coating!

R.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Ruben, hit me up - I also have 2 differnet parts cleaners w/different solovents and I have some other cool stuff for refinishing such as a glass beader, media blaster, & different polishing wheels & compounds. I'm working on scooters all weekend in my workshop, you're welcome to stop on by.

Rock on,
Ryan

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.