Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to adjust the rear suspension tie rod? I tried to figure out the best way to sneak a 19mm wrench in there and it is impossible. From what I can see removing the top SHCS then wrenching out the bar ends, then retightening the lock nuts would be easiest. Are there going to be any issues getting that bolt lined back up? Any suggestions.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Haven't BTDT, but I've looked at it, and it seems like it will be a real PITA.

If you can support the rear of the frame, it looks like the best way is to remove the top SHCS on the tie rod, and then undo the bottom one but just pull it out enough to release the tie rod.

Gets the tie rod out on the bench where you can adjust it and make sure everything is tight.

If you can put a 2x4 or something under the rear tire, with the frame supported, you can "lever" the tire up & down to align the rod-end and the top bolt.

It really looks like having a helper is going to make it a lot easier, just another set of hands to hold and move stuff.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I think if you just pull the top SHCS, rotate the bar back, you should be able to loosen and adjust the bottom w/o removing it. Then proceed w/ the top mount. We'll see how it goes. I hope I can borrow a rear tire stand.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Youre going to have to support the_frame_at the rear of the bike.

Rear stands support the bike on the suspension, so the tie rod is loaded. You'll play hell getting that bolt out, and if you do you'll wish you hadn't. The rear suspension will collapse. It would be ugly....

R

·
0 Posts
you can borrow my stand....I know they are a pita but I don't think you should have to remove anything? I have heard of a magical sears wrench modification........and I just happen to know where I can find one. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts