Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has been discussed in the past, I just need some more information from you experts out there. I was sick of my monster riding like a cruiser so I took the rear ride height up and liked what it did for the riding position and handling.

During this experimenting w/ the ride height on my S4 I have come into a situation where I think I have gone way too high because my bike looks like it is going to fall over on the side stand.

I know people have been replacing the stock unit w/ one from the 998 but how much longer is that side stand? From what I can see, I need about 2" longer and this seems a bit drastic. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is the side stand the answer or do I have the bikes backend up way too far? I took it riding this weekend w/ the tail way up and it seemed to handle fine where it is. What am I missing?

M

·
0 Posts
I understand Cycle Cat is coming out with a billet aluminum sidestand for the S4. We will have it up on our website as soon as they are available.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The sidestand situation on the S4 is a scary one....my S4 is lower than stock, and it still looks like it's gonna tip over.

Some folks have fitted the superbike unit, but it's not a direct bolt-up. I think it requires some welding on the stop to get it right.

CycleCat billet aluminum S4 sidestand. Shweeet. :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope that Cycle Cat does come out w/ a longer unit because I am going to have to weld on a 2", 300 gram slug-o-steel to the end of my stock unit to make it work. This sucks.

I will post pictures of the modified unit when I get it done, you'll all be scared!

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
MonstaS4,

My stock stand was about 1/2" too short. The SBK stand I replaced it with is 10" from pivot to the middle of the foot. The stock unit is about 9 1/2" measuring from the same points. It is not a direct bolt-on, but it is not too tough of a mod either. Saves about a pound. If you really need a stand that much longer, I think it would be better to contact/wait for CycleCat, as they may be able "tweak" their CNC program for you. But needing 2" sounds extreme to me. Maybe you could drop the front a bit instead of/in addition to raising the rear?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the stock sidestand already being 20mm too short (S4 is 20mm higher than a "regular" monster) and me raising the bike just over two inches in the back, moving the side stand pivot point up about an inch, I am in a world of hurt. So 2" is a little extreme but that is how much longer it would need to be to not have excessive lean.

I am going to weld a .75 inch button on the bottom of the stock sidestand and drop the rear one complete turn on the tie rod to hold me over until the Cycle Cat unit comes out. Just another example of Italian engineering!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I mounted the SBK sidestand on the monster bracket and found that it didn't work very well. Is welding required to the stock bracket to change the angle that the SBK sidestand sits at?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I haven't BTDT, but I think that's the fix......

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been contemplating mounting the SBK stand on the S4 w/ all of the rumors of people doing it. If someone out there has had luck w/ this mod could you please post pictures w/ a little instruction on what needs to be done?

S

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem with my 900. I raised the bike......you know the story. Do the S4 and the 900 have the same bolting configuation?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts