Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
thought it would be worth sharing a pic of the bike:

still got tons to do but it's getting real close! still waiting on rotors for the front but as soon as they come in, it'll be a whirlwind finale!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I like the frame Strati. Did you paint the bodywork too or leave it black? I say we all pray for Strati's rotors to come in because that has to be painful to look at every day! ;D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tank's gloss black (was grey).
marvic piuma's are gloss black (marchesini's were red)
side covers are long gone
passenger seat cover's long gone
bikini fairing's long gone
front & rear huggers are feathercarbon
engine case covers are gloss black

getting a set of full floating brembo iron rotors on borrow (arriving any day now) until the axis rotors are finally ready (prolly 3-4 more weeks). super cool to get a chance to try the brembo's before the axis. will be interesting to compare!!!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Strati,
That's gonna look very hot! ;D (Not that it doesn't look hot already!)

Hey, ahhhhh....anybody got dibs on your red wheels?
My Red S4 might look good with 'em.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the stock red 5-spoke marchesinis are looooong gone. sold them to afford the marvic piuma's.
as for where this is being done? it's in my den. i'll say it again. i love my VERY understanding wife =)
it's actually rather out of the way and we don't use it much otherwise thankfully...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Strati,
Just thought I'd take a flyer and see if you still had 'em.... :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And you'll have the comfort of knowing it was assembled properly from the ground-up....can't wait to see the end result

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
unfortunately, not really... i spent the weekend with my wife in pittsburg for some friends' wedding reception and made some terrible decisions regarding alcohol consumption :p
finally recovered from my epic hangover so i'm planning on reworking my velocity stacks to install the pod filters chris kelley sent out last week. they're unfortunately not a direct install, but will be usable after some slight shaving of my stacks' bellmouths.
with the stacks on, the tank battery and tank will follow. then i've got the headlight bracket to fab up (i'm planning on aluminum diamond plate for an industrial look) and the guages to sort out. bwehahahaha!!! i can almost taste it!

oh yeah... here's a pic of the tank:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking forward to seeing the next series of pics! Do you have a theme to go along with the new look??

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haven't really had a theme in mind... just tried to visualize what i'd like my bike to look like and am running with it. hopefully, sanity won't set in before i'm done or that image will vanish ;)
it's actually not that crazy i don't think. it's just a shame this dang project's dragged on so long. i claim most of the responsibility as i've had other responsibilities that have had to take priority (THE HORROR!!!), but parts have been backordered and whatnot has been a drag too.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
;D ;D ;D it`s looking pretty sick so far. can`t wait to see it finshed 8)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[email protected]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

managed to snap a clutch spring retaining bolt IN the hub post last night.
then i managed to break the bolt extraction tool IN the bolt IN the hub!!!!
with the hub already installed and torqued down, i'm gonna have to uninstall it so i can properly drill out and retap that post. if i snap it, i'll be SUPER pissed...

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in other news, bunch o' titanium bolts installed (weights to be posted) and nichols flywheel installed/torqued down (8.5 oz!).

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
managed to snap a clutch spring retaining bolt IN the hub post last night.
then i managed to break the bolt extraction tool IN the bolt IN the hub!!!!
quote]
Done that. (the bolt AND the tool, too)
You are now an honorary member of the 'Higgie Bad Mechanics Club'!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Strati,

I don't want to rain on your (already pretty wet) clutch parade, but drilling out a broken bolt with a broken off extractor in it is a sonofab!#ch.

May I suggest:

A) Taking it to a machine shop, where they can use a carbide endmill to remove the broken hardware.

B) Taking it to a EDM shop and having them burn the broken hardware out.

I worked in a machine shop for 4 years, saw many a broken tap removed from very expensive parts both ways. You are trying to remove said bolt from a brand new zoot ultralight clutch hub, right?

Until you receive the patch, you can tear one sleeve off of your "work on the bike" shirt, and burn a hole in the front with some battery acid. That'll do. ;D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wowza! I love that tank!!! Frame is slick too. Nice den to work in also.
After you drill that bolt out, be vewy vewy cawful re-tapping it... I have broken a tap off in that same situation. Makes you say bad words.
I'm sure you already have it fixed up... that post was so long ago... but you know me, I can't hang on to my two cents no matter what.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts