Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test road a 2003 s4 that I plan to purchase on Tuesday. After riding for about 30 minutes, I noticed
that the engine idled at about 1000 rpm. The manual says it should be 1400-1500. Does this need to be adjusted?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm in Atlanta, GA. The dealer said it was an 03, but I will check the VIN when I go back. Thanks for the information. I also considered the S4R, but I will do a lot of city riding and heard it was too snatchy in the lower gears. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
All Monsters are geared pretty tall from the factory, so around town they can be a little bit of a bear. Lots of folks here replace the 15 tooth countershaft sprocket with a 14, which seems to help quite a bit. I haven't regeared my bike as I do a fair bit of running on the freeway at 85 or so, and I don't like the motor spinning so fast when I'm cruising like that.

Standard mods also include:

Aftermarket clutch slave cylinders, results in an easier pull at the lever, and a wider 'engagement' zone. This helps a bunch around town, I've done it and really like it.

Some folks fit a PowerCommander (A.K.A. as a PCIII), which allows modifying the mixture. Most Monsters are pretty lean as delivered, which makes them not so friendly around town. The PCIII helps a bunch. I've done this as well, and am quite pleased with it.

Aftermarket cans, so you can hear the exhaust. Lots of options for the S4, just a few for the S4R. Eliminating the 'cow udder' on the S4R requires getting a full exhaust system at this point in time, and it's pretty expensive.

S4r has a bigger motor, so it has more torque and HP. It has the wide-ratio transmission, which is really something I wish my S4 had. Some folks like the close ratio tranny, but it's not my favorite feature. S4R has slightly better suspension parts, but it's not a big difference. Different styling with the SSS and 'shotgun' pipes. I'm not big on the SSS, but some folks are real hot for 'em.

Hope that answers your questions...feel free to ask more if you like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The s4 gearing felt good to me on the streets and the highway - better than anything I've ridden. Have you made any handlebar mods?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Yes, I put the tall CycleCats on. Stock bars were a bit low for my tastes, and the angle was uncomfortable. However, I've got a ton of seat time on dirt bikes, and I'm 6'1", so I'm kind of partial to sitting more upright....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My S4, still new with only 700 miles on it, idles at 800 to 900 rpm indicated. That might be a tad TOO slow, as it seems like a fragile idle when the bike is restarted after even a brief shutdown (like a gas fillup). 1000 RPM would be better. I have to admit though that the loswer idle sounds sexier, and it HAS been getting more stable sounding as I get miles onto the bike.

As for model years, my dealer also told me that there were no 2003 S4s imported into the U.S. There were enough 2002s left, and then Ducati brought in the S4R for 2004.

Jim G

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
That's a lot less than I paid for mine, but that was a little over a year ago...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Spiegelp: Just under $11,000 seems to be the going rate for brand new 02 S4s.

However, if you have a bit more to spend, your delaer can usually offer you a GREAT deal on accessories if they involve replacing the stock parts BEFORE they are used.

If you buy, say, aftermarket exhaust, carbon fiber parts, different sprockets, etc, that involve taking off a brand new factory part, the dealer can legally and morally sell those "take off" parts as brand new, and since Ducati parts are not cheap, if he passes on a good chunk of the price of those takeoffs as credits to you, you can get a well-equipped bike for a LOT less than you would by buying LATER when the takeoffs have to be sold (by you) as used parts.

I bought my brand new 02 S4 a few weeks ago at Ducati Austin in this manner, and I got a LOT more bike for not a lot more money. I got:
Termignoni CF high pipes
Open airbox
Correct fuel module to match pipes & airbox
MANY other CF parts (only 3 plastic non-CF parts left!)
14/42 sprockets AND a longer chain to accommodate them
Centerstand
Lower seat
Billet mirrors
Billet turn signals
and many other items

I felt it was a win-win for both me and the dealer.

Jim G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts