Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just fitted a new 620 top yoke to my S4 with Renthal low road 'bars. It was a bit of a fouter with the instrument mounting, I'm not sure if I got all the bits from the Ducati shop that I should have, but a 6mm tap, some 100mmx6mm set screws, rubber bushes and a wee bit jiggery-pokery and it was done. If I can figure out how to put a picture here

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's a miracle, it's a miracle.
I followed the instructions and it worked, but there was no real understanding of the computery bit. I still think it's too tricky for what is a simple human interaction : "Hello, yes I have a monster too, would you like to see a picture of it?" instead of having to go to night classes and pester people. Cameras these days you just point and push a button, done. Posting that image on here, well, check out the thread on picture posting on the ukmonster site. I rest my case.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Good job on figuring out the picture posting. I myself have struggled with it even though it is fairly straight forward. The pic is great, but a little small and hard to see detail. So, how do you like these new bars and how are they better than stock?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kev,
The standard bars were all wrong for me, too straight, too far away, too much downward angle (dangle?) and no adjustability. I knew what I needed after having an m900 and this was the simplest, cheapest way for me. I have yet to properly test the position and the 14t gearing I fitted, I've only ridden round the block because of the weather. I know, I'm just a big 'mammy's boy' but I'll post more details when I can.
The picture is a 150 pixel avatar size reduction, God knows I've moaned long enough about the banana skins of picture posting, but since you've asked I'll have a bash at a better one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two hours I've spent in front of the moniter getting that far.
Without profanities that would shame Richard Nixon I cannot begin to convey the frustration and disappointment at the result. Let's be honest, it's sh!te. But I did my best and I'll explain how, just the once:
Started with a crisp, nearly 2meg image that was sharp when viewed as 12x10 inch directly from 'Boots' CD (produced at processing stage as copy of 35mm negative)
stage 2: copied full size to 'interprint album' on computer, when viewed

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oneducs, this is all your fault.
Now I've been forced to put up another of my 'screen prints' to make a direct comparison with yours. The picture I mean. (we ended up with the same riding position)
So, if being my friend means anything to you, explain how your picture is sharp and mine is sh!te.

O

·
0 Posts
i am not sure why . my camera isn't all that good . so who can tell but your bike with the new bars looks great

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Height you want? right then, but this is the last one until some bright computer type can show me how to do it properly. ;)

S

·
0 Posts
hye one ducs, can you please post some more pics of the ohlins side damper that you have, I'm interested

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kev, brief test report:
thanks to a 'weather window' I got out to play on my bike this morning. The bars are great, riding position perfect for me. However, after cresting a rise on a favourite bumpy bit of road I have to say the front end is a little more twitchy now, so I think I'll get a steering damper too. The other wee mod's: 14T gearbox, 85db Sils do just what they said on the tin. Top gear is now usable for everyday riding, and the exhaust is so melodic I go up and down the box for the fun of it. Don't pay attention to db figures, listen to the actual pipes.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Johny,
Can you elaborate on a couple of your mods. First, how do the 85db cans compare to the stock exhaust? Is the bike much louder w/ the 85db cans? I think my S4 cans say they are rated for 80db, so I'm curious how different the extra 5db sound is.

Second, what do you think about the 14t sprocket?

Thanks,
Kev

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 85db Sils are somewhere between standard and full race, but it's difficult to quantify. A good bit louder than stock but not enough to annoy anyone, more important is the tonal improvement, so much better than standard cans. You can hear the exhaust sound even 'well on' in top gear and you can certainly hear the music when blipping down through the box for roundabouts. If you're asking for a reccomendation, I would definately buy them again.
The 14T gearbox sprocket is worth having too, unless you routinely travel over 100mph. Duffing along at 30 is now achievable in 3rd instead of 2nd, cruising along in top at 70ish is about 4000-4250, hard to tell for sure without riding into the back of a truck but top is usable at legal limits here (70mph max on motorways) on the 14T, on the 15 it was too lumpy below 80.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
It looks like the 86db Sils are what I'm looking for. I don't really care for really loud cans, but would like some more rumble than what my stock cans provide. On my previous monster I had Strati do his 1/2 way mod and I liked the compromise between stock and full race sound. Thanks for the feedback, Johny.

O

·
0 Posts
here you go newbe it's the gray look but you get the idea , scotts also make a damper along with D/P that goes on the triple clamp or something like that.

S

·
0 Posts
thanks. I can;t decide if I should go that route or top mount. I think the Scotts is too much up there. I like the DP one, a little pricey, tehn there is the matris about $400 which is not too bad .......

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I have been considering dampers too, and so far I like the top mount type. What does the DP go for? The Matris looks like a good option providing it performs well.

S

·
0 Posts
600from the dealer. its alot the matris around 430.......taht could be some nice new toy the difference !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts