Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fan never seems to kick on. Is this normal ?? I mean, I was riding pretty damn hard. Of course, I am using water wetter. :eek:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yea, its pretty normal. The only time my fans have ever kicked on was when the outside temps were way past 100 degrees.... The S4 stays pretty cool normally.

Borg Girl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't forget that if you're riding hard (fast), a good amount of air is passing through the radiator while you're at speed. the only time i'd figure radiator fans will come on is on a VERY hot day, while stuck in traffic.
keep in mind that race bikes with outrageous compression ratios that get ridden harder than we'll ever push our s4's go through the circuits without fans even installed (to save that extra bit of weight). at speed, fans are a moot point.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
My fans come on at 215, right about where the service manual says they should.

BTW, an S4 cannot be left running stationary for long periods of time. It WILL overheat, the stock fans are too puny to push enough air to control the temp.

Found that out doing a battery temp experiment. Coolant temp was at 250 and climbing steady after 30 minutes of running while stationary.

The bike doesn't have to move much to control the temp, though. Even pretty severe stop'n'go with air temp at 105, it can handle it. The rider was a little worse for wear after that one.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in 3000 miles my fans have only come on twice both times in a traffic jam. Weird thing the right one came on first and the left one came on a minute or so later. @ 218 degrees or so.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
That's bizarre Vincent. I wouldn't think the two fans would have seperate controls. I'll have to watch mine to see if they do the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts