Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prefer the styling of the dual sided swing arm over the single sider, but I wouldn't mind having the better performance of the s4r! LOL

Is it be possible to buy an old S4 & convert it to a hybrid with the S4R S Testastretta? For example, what if i bought an old 2002 DUCATI MONSTER S4 with a 916cc, 4 valve & decided to switch to the 4-valve per cylinder, 998 Testastretta L-Twin engine?

Would it be a huge expensive project to do or can I just swap the engines?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
An older member Strati did just that, but it entailed cutting and rewelding one or more of the frame crosstubes. Not for the faint of heart but certainly doable.

·
Registered
917 Posts
the 916 and 998 are roughly the same size, and the 998 would bolt right into the S4 frame. the problem is the airbox for the 998. it's deeper, and hence you run into cross member interference like ducman states. you could probably use a different airbox, but from what i've read the performance numbers are pretty sensitive to airbox volume.
which makes me curious: how does a 998/999 airbox compare the one used on the S4RS

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you prefer the dual swingarm you will have a problem. The 916 cases for the S4 are different than the cases for the SBK engines. The 748/916/996 SBKs have the swingarm bearings in the swingarm and are supported by the frame. The S4 916 swingarm bearings are in the cases and are supported by the cases. You would either need to run a single swingarm and modify the frame to support it OR to use the dual swingarm the SBK engine cases would need to be machined to fit the dual swingarm bearings.$$$$ or TIME or both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.