Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have been lurking for a while, and just got my '05 S2R800 a couple of weeks ago. So inevitably my first post is one asking for help.

I went to start the bike shortly after coming home last night and not a lot of action. Here is what I have so far.

No needle sweep, no idiot lights, immobiliser light continues to flash.
When turning the key from off to on and back again one of the relays clicks.
When key set to on the pass light and horn work.
The battery is 12.46V when key at off, 12.22V when key at on.
i have checked a lot of connectors, I had no idea there were so many!!! All seem to be seated fine and free of corrosion.
I have done a visual on the grounding and it looks pretty good, haven't metered it out though.
I can't use the throttle over ride thing because it doesn't even get that far.

I would like to have the bike to ride over Xmas as the weather looks like it will be perfect (go the southern hemisphere) so does anyone have a quick fix for me? Preferably one that also makes it faster and more fuel economical.

Cheers

Pete

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Fuses OK?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Sounds like it needs to go back to the dealer. :(

Oh, does the fuel pump 'cycle' after you turn the key on?

Might want to check continuity on the fuses, they do occasionally fail invisibly.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
From what you describe, it sounds like turning the key isn't triggering the 'start sequence' in the EFI? Have you tried fully charging the battery? I'm told by my mechanic that they're very sensitive to voltage and don't like it even a little bitty bit low...

Otherwise, I agree, dealer's the place to go...

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Yeah, you should read the section of your handbook entitled "Procedure to release the immobilizer using the throttle twistgrip" page 16 of the English section, in the one that is in 4 languages (if there is more than one.)

If you don't have a handbook, you can download it here, thanks to Wanwo.

http://wanwo.zoomshare.com/1.shtml

I am almost positive that you have a problem wherein your immobilizer system is not reading your key, your symptoms are exact (I think). The above procedure should help, follow it exactly.

Good luck, & let us know.

rich

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right,

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Bike is now running. It was in the end one of the fuses, my bad for being too impatient and not measuring them and not noticing that the 15 amp fuse that runs the "Tail light and NQS- pilot light" had gone but in a slightly odd position off to the side of the link and not in the middle. What is the NQS? Anyway, I suspect an intermittent short in the tail end as I have only just got the bike back from the dealer as someone had the tail light in backwards and the brake light was always on and the "normal" rear light only came on when I was braking. I will now have a look at this, may replace the tail light completely.

Thanks again.
Pete

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
iameightbit said:
Right,

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Bike is now running. It was in the end one of the fuses, my bad for being too impatient and not measuring them and not noticing that the 15 amp fuse that runs the "Tail light and NQS- pilot light" had gone but in a slightly odd position off to the side of the link and not in the middle. What is the NQS? Anyway, I suspect an intermittent short in the tail end as I have only just got the bike back from the dealer as someone had the tail light in backwards and the brake light was always on and the "normal" rear light only came on when I was braking. I will now have a look at this, may replace the tail light completely.

Thanks again.
Pete
i blew that fuse while on a group ride (with speeddog) when the rear wire bundle got caught in the seat latch and shorted.

luckily we had a rider with an extra fuse in their kit. i now carry extras under the seat.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Glad I could help. :)

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Aside on the immobilizer...

Those symptoms are different, from my experience, but I've only my bike to compare to.

Had a starting problem this summer...gauge needles would do their thing and indicators read a temp and mileage, but immobilizer kept flashing and starter would not engage. Cycled the key/cluster off/on twice and same thing....

Pulling out the key (after the third try) and starting over did the trick. Turns out the key wasn't completely in/down (short 1 or 2 mm) and that was enough to make the immobilizer disengage the starter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts