Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased 2006 S2R with 30,000km, Leo Vince, std airbox... and smells rich, unburnt fuel way. Rear cylinder plug looks right, front cylinder plug is black/sooty. Starts fine, idles 1000. Grumbles alittle on fixed throttle under 3,500. Running 98 octane if thats right? If I open up the airbox...would this help?. Appreciate ideas before I take it in to the shop.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I believe you can adjust your CO with a mathesis or gunston meter. Read the maintenance manual for you bike before you make any adjustments. Should be air screws on the throttle body intakes. I run 91 because that’s the highest octane I can get in Hawaii. You can go lower on the octane as long as your not getting knocking or detonation. Also this video may help;

·
Registered
49 Posts
What they said👆
Minutes 6-8 ish. Except that the balance adjuster is a little different and somewhat hard to reach with a slotted screwdriver and bad angle on our bikes. And I think resetting the Throttle Position Sensor is more straightforward with JPDIAG software and connector. At least that's all it took on mine.

Unrelated, but because we have the same bike with similar miles, the next time you have the clutch cover off, you should probably check the clutch stack height and the state of the clutch housing. Wish I'd done that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently purchased 2006 S2R with 30,000km, Leo Vince, std airbox... and smells rich, unburnt fuel way. Rear cylinder plug looks right, front cylinder plug is black/sooty. Starts fine, idles 1000. Grumbles alittle on fixed throttle under 3,500. Running 98 octane if thats right? If I open up the airbox...would this help?. Appreciate ideas before I take it in to the shop.
What did you pay for this bike, if you don’t mind me asking? That’s what I have with about the same mileage and I have been considering selling it but I don’t think it would be worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What did you pay for this bike, if you don’t mind me asking? That’s what I have with about the same mileage and I have been considering selling it but I don’t think it would be worth it.
Hey, sure, in US$ around $5.5k. It was in immaculate condition. ... mmm hang in there, its a keeper !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What they said👆
Minutes 6-8 ish. Except that the balance adjuster is a little different and somewhat hard to reach with a slotted screwdriver and bad angle on our bikes. And I think resetting the Throttle Position Sensor is more straightforward with JPDIAG software and connector. At least that's all it took on mine.

Unrelated, but because we have the same bike with similar miles, the next time you have the clutch cover off, you should probably check the clutch stack height and the state of the clutch housing. Wish I'd done that.
Thanks for the assist. Some of this is little beyond me just now, but will help when i get it to the workshop, and start wrenching later.

Yes, I do need to check the clutch .. that i can do , with view to replacing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey mate, it's injected, so I'd suggest starting with checking the spark quality, could simply be a dodgy spark plug, then there's the injectors, one could be partially blocked if it's been parked for a while especially if it's got crappy ethanol blended fuel.

May even be with draining and filling with new fuel.

Once you have the basics sorted then consider balancing/syncing the throttle bodies, but do that after the basics first.

Remember, it's fuel/air/spark and ignition timing, anything is related to those four principals.

I have however experienced a faulting ECU which intermittently dropped ignition on the horizon cylinder, so I'd also suggest touching the exhaust headers at startup and see if they heat uniformly

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, definitely check them plugs first and buy another set anyway.
It's probably heresy to folks here, not sending them out to get professionally cleaned, but I did a dirty clean of my own injectors with a bit of tubing and a can of brake cleaner. At least that told me my injectors weren't completely fouled.
Continuing on the poor-man's method of doing things, I made my own vacuum balance checker doohickey with a long length of poly fuel line (for chainsaws and trimmers), a few drops of ATF, and M5 brass push fittings. The ATF is kind of a pain in the ass for various reasons, so use a tiny amount and don't rev the engine or you'll be waiting ages for it to settle back down. But it's better than nothing and won't be a bother if it does get sucked into the engine.
You'll definitely need the 3-pin OBD2 interface, too. Then get your JPDIAG and register it for free so you're pretty much good to go.
HTH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts