Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my S2R 800 seems to be running rich and I was wondering if it is an engine mapping issue. I have an arrow full exhaust and K&N air filter and wondering if I should remap the engine.

This is my first Ducati and I am used to Yamaha R6's and know that something like a power commander can help solve the problems that happen when you add exhaust and better intake.

Are there options for remapping options for my bike and could the exhaust and filter make it run richer?

·
Registered
594 Posts
That's nice. Love the yellow.
What makes you think it's running rich? If you've done those modifications and still running the factory map, I should think you'd be facing a seriously lean running condition across the board.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's nice. Love the yellow.
What makes you think it's running rich? If you've done those modifications and still running the factory map, I should think you'd be facing a seriously lean running condition across the board.
Maybe it is lean. Honestly, I am not sure. It seems to be running hotter than before and I can smell gas a little. I have read that I could just stay with the 'factory' air filter and be safe. Is that true? Are there tuners available out there any more?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Maybe it is lean. Honestly, I am not sure. It seems to be running hotter than before and I can smell gas a little. I have read that I could just stay with the 'factory' air filter and be safe. Is that true? Are there tuners available out there any more?
Extra heat is usually a good sign of running lean. I don't know if anyone still makes tuners for them, but I'm not a fan of piggyback systems in the first place. Especially on a bike that's so easy to re-flash to begin with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Extra heat is usually a good sign of running lean. I don't know if anyone still makes tuners for them, but I'm not a fan of piggyback systems in the first place. Especially on a bike that's so easy to re-flash to begin with.
Do you know someone who re-flashes the computer? It wasn't bad before the new air filter. Do you think it will be easier just going back to 'stock' air filter?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I dabble in it to some extent. However is this the S2R1000 with the 800 motor in it? That can change things significantly. First step is to take a look at the ECU. It should have a label stating what bike it was originally set up for. If you can get a photo of that, and the label on the other side closest to the battery that would be a good start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dabble in it to some extent. However is this the S2R1000 with the 800 motor in it? That can change things significantly. First step is to take a look at the ECU. It should have a label stating what bike it was originally set up for. If you can get a photo of that, and the label on the other side closest to the battery that would be a good start.
I think this does have an s2r1000 frame and other parts with an 800 motor. How did you know that? Certain parts don't match up and the title says 1000 but motor is clearly an 800. I'll get the photos later today.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It finally clicked when I looked at the front brakes again and then I remembered seeing some previous discussions about it. Where exactly are you located?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It finally clicked when I looked at the front brakes again and then I remembered seeing some previous discussions about it. Where exactly are you located?
Yeah, it has brembo dual-pin front brakes which aren't the stock 800 brakes. I am in the US Virgin Islands- St. Thomas.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I see. Island life and year-round riding. Yeah, I'd be really curious to see what the map you've been running looks like. I'd like to find a spare 695 motor to go through and swap out next summer since my case cracked at the kickstand mount recently. I'm planning on putting 800 heads on it because I want to go back to 8mm valves. If I find a decent Crank and cylinders, I may bump it to an 800. But I don't know, I ride too fast already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts