Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer has 2008 s2r1000 and 2005 s4r. Both are overstock brandnew.
And both are listed at the same price 8,999.

My concern is that I only have a limitted riding experience - 1,500 miles on Ninja 500 and scooters before that.

Do you think I am going to be way over my head with s4r?

Of course, other things are a concern too, i.e. service costs, insurance.

But, purely from riding perspective how managable is s4r vs s2r?

Thanks,
Sergey.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My local dealer has 2008 s2r1000 and 2005 s4r. Both are overstock brandnew.
And both are listed at the same price 8,999.

My concern is that I only have a limitted riding experience - 1,500 miles on Ninja 500 and scooters before that.

Of course, other things are a concern too, i.e. service costs, insurance.

Thanks,
Sergey.
996 motors are still glitchy... with that said... it still cools faster and is better equipped for harder riding... S4R is the way to go... my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
s2r or s4r

partial to air cooled monsters - no plumbing to obscure that cool motor. s2r is significantly cheaper to maintain. i went from m620 to s2r1k: bigger bike has more power than i'll ever need. easy to ride, happily cruises or rips: but PAY ATTENTION, make sure u know where you're going before ya crank open the throttle. bike will flat out s**t n git!!, especially low-mid rpm. torque narcosis--aaaaah!
cheers.

btw: s4r is gnarly too, just not my thing - yet?????? hmmmm.

·
Registered
151 Posts
no plumbing to obscure that cool motor.

btw: s4r is gnarly too, just not my thing - yet?????? hmmmm.

I currently have an 05' S2R800 and an 07' S4RT... and there is no comparing them... no way... the over grown engine and new hardware is amazing... in traffic and bike is hitting 230degrees... NOT an issue... @224degrees those double fans engage and the bike stays nice and fresh... try that on a 1k... start to roll and watch the temp just drop... more responsive through the rpm range...etc!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Get more miles...Or go to riding school in the spring/summer...

Yes, get more miles on the Ninja 500. I mean, lots of miles

Thanks,
Sergey
It's bike with a big torque bite, serious attitude and craving for throttle, get more miles on your 500 or go to riding school.

Sorry for being so repetitive, but, you need to develop skills before you get the S4R, if you want to get one of those, then get the S2R1000, it's a bit more 'docile' and can do 99% of everythign the S4R can do, the S4R, it's brute, a Monster that can do everything a SBK can do, but, naked.

So, you want to gaze at the scenery while riding or rip thru it? Want to have more maintenance costs or want to give your salary to dealer? Is he going to give you an extended warranty?

Either one is an excellent piece of machinery, built to ride, rip, watch and touch, but, if YOU feel that you don't have enough 'seat time', go for the more 'civilized' one, S2R1K, or get the S4R if and only if, you don't sell the Ninja 500 and get more time on the road and go to a riding school, plus take all your MSF riding courses.

Telling you all this since a friend of mine wanted to give me the surprise of having purchased a used S4R, previous bike, Yamaha DT175. Just knew he had bought it, was suposed to come to my place to place a couple of orders in accessories, didn't show up; received call from his wife screaming at me for letting him buy the MONSTER. His skills were Ok, for a DT175, never lent my bike; came out of a corner, twisted the throttle just a bit, too much[is that possible on a S4R?] and it seems that from almost having a low side, had a tank slapper and then a high side.So was I told from his buddy, who took him on a ride that was too much for him on his first date with the Monster. Bike, should be receiving it today to assest damages and see if repair is feasable, him, hospital with lots of broken bones and stiches. Plus my first bike, is my Monster620[first owned bike], before this bike, never owned one, but rode a lot of enduros.

I know, you have a bike that a point in time was a SBK[Ninja 500] and he had an enduro, but, he's been riding that enduro for the last 9 years of his life and before that, a KTM enduro and a Suzuki AX100[2 stroke] also for gazillion years.

Whatever you decide, use your head and heart, keep us posted on your descision.;)

Godspeed on your choice...

·
Registered
34 Posts
It all depends on you, the rider/purchase of the bike. A co-worker of mine, for a first bike, bought a 97 CBR1100XX Blackbird (really). The first of the true hyperbikes. A 186 mph bike. He kept that for a year, no mishaps, oh yeah, he was 21 at the time, I don't know how he insured it, then I sold it for him and he bought an'05 Hayabusa from an Air Force guy that was getting shipped out for a screaming deal. It's been 2 more years and all is well.

Then again, I know people that have screwed themselves into the ground on Honda CB350's, every one is different, you've got to keep the right wrist wired to the brain, not your balls.

Can you handle it, original poster guy? Do you have the confidence in yourself, and the self control to kind of keep it sedate until you feel comfortable enough to start picking up the pace?

I've got an S4, I'm down about 30 hp on the S4R, my bike can be perfectly docile below about 5 or 6000rpm, around town it's very manageable, above that, to about 10,000, things start to happen pretty fast. I would assume that with 30 extra hp on top of what I've got, you could get to that turn a whole lot faster than you expected. And as easy as my bike wheelies and lights up the tire coming off of turns, I think the S4R would be quite a handful. But I like that sort of thing. Maybe that is what's next. But I digress.

Find one at a dealership and see if they will let you test ride it. I know several of the Ducati dealerships around here, and all the way to LA let me ride their bikes. Ride both. Find something you like. Try out a big KTM Supermoto or adventure bike, or an Aprilia, an RC-51. Even a TL1000R might be fun. But don't pigeonhole yourself, you're going to be paying for at least a couple of years, ride a bunch of different stuff and buy what turns your crank.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lets not be so dramatic... if my memory serves me correctly there's only a 5lb difference in torque between the two.

As for the 996 being a "brute", a "Monster that can do everything a SBK can do, but, naked"

Wrong... I think you're confusing the 996 with the Testastretta...

So, you want to gaze at the scenery while riding or rip thru it? Want to have more maintenance costs or want to give your salary to dealer? Is he going to give you an extended warranty?
HUH?????

Telling you all this since a friend of mine wanted to give me the surprise of having purchased a used S4R, previous bike, Yamaha DT175. Just knew he had bought it, was suposed to come to my place to place a couple of orders in accessories, didn't show up; received call from his wife screaming at me for letting him buy the MONSTER. His skills were Ok, for a DT175, never lent my bike; came out of a corner, twisted the throttle just a bit, too much[is that possible on a S4R?] and it seems that from almost having a low side, had a tank slapper and then a high side.So was I told from his buddy, who took him on a ride that was too much for him on his first date with the Monster. Bike, should be receiving it today to assest damages and see if repair is feasable, him, hospital with lots of broken bones and stiches. Plus my first bike, is my Monster620[first owned bike], before this bike, never owned one, but rode a lot of enduros.
Stop it... just stop...

Fellows, this is not a difference between a 16hp VW Bettle and 650hp GT3RS.
The smart buy is the S4R in all aspects... Worst case scenario if you happen to wet your pants after your first ride you can sell her for practically no loss...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would have to say that the best deal would be the S4R. Its a bike you can grow into and not out of in a matter of weeks. Also the resale would be better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've got an S2R1000 and prefer it's looks over the H2O bikes but I have to say, if they were both new and both under warranty and both the same price I'd go with the S4R.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts