Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally get to pick up my S2R1K after almost a year. Unable to ship it to my home Ecuador because the dealer and Ducati could not furnish me the paperwork required to ship it overseas(I'd been told this would not be a problem as they had done lots of international sales before. I make the regrettable decision at this point to proceed with the purchase and keep the bike here in the US. I drive down to a highly acclaimed dealer south of town and pick up the shiny red 1000. (I had seleceted this dealer based off of his reputation and did not even attempt to dicker whith him on price as the owner himself told me when I purchased the bike that He would sell me a Arrow full system for $1250 a hi flow air filter and airbox lid for $100 and they would could and would adjust my factory ECU with their preknown adjustment to match this setup. This is all forgotten now and of course they cannot adjust the ECU as stated when we were in sales mode) After some paperwork where the sales lady give me the manuals keys, etc and then refuses to give me a shirt or two that had been promised to me at purchase time (same category as the tuning & Pipe??) she turns me over to a mechanic who is going to tell me everything about the bike. He tells me that it is "Red & Fast" and shows me how to adjust the clock? I guess if it had a radio he would have shown me how to change channels!! (maybe hes and ex Goldwing guy). When I ask If he was going to do something like set the suspension ride height, control levers etc he says no and gives some smart remark. I try and adjust the levers myself after the short ride to a nearby gas station only to disconver that the toolkit on my 23rd motorcycle will not allow this as it resembles something off of a $600 chineese bike. Not near as good of a toolkit as what came on my first motorcycle a 73 kawasaki 100. Oh well, I look at the bike and think that it sure is pretty, get back on it and ride it to my sons home about 75 miles away without incident. Upon ariving there I discover that the Mechanic that could not give me any straight anwers or do anything usefull like adjusting levers or the most basic of susppension setup, or how Ducati eliminated the ty-raps on the 2007 models(he hadn't even noticed this??), had failed to attach the temporary tag so that it would not fall off. I'm now over a 100 miles from home and have no tags. I get up the next day fabricate a imitation tag and head home hoping for the best............ I arrive back in @$%#&, go to mom's to show her my "New Ducati" and drop off my back pack before heading over to a friends house. After ohhing and aahing over it for about 10 minutes I get ready to leave swing a leg over it kick up the sidestand and thumb the starter button.......... Nothing........... Hmmm......... I start checking all switchs etc kill is off sidestand is up or is it down? I try both ways, nothing nothing nothing.........

I've checked the

Sidestand switch (the bolt was about halve way out and nearly ready to fall off) tightened it up but made no difference. Have not checked continuity yet

Kill switch. With it off it makes a small click, with it on it makes no sound whatsoever when hitting start button.

Attached a charged motorcycle battery to it and tried to jump it off, no difference

Looked for loose connectors

Ideas??

I have deleted reference as to who the dealer is until I see if they make a miraculous turnaround this week in dealing with this. Indications are that they will not as after there claims of being able to adjust the ECU turned to misclaims/lies they have made no attempt to redeem theirselves by offering me any goodies at a special price (i.e. breakeven)
Other than this the bike is beautifull, handles nicely, and seems to have the type of power I was hoping for. Unfortunatly my enthusiasm has been severly dampened by the early failure of the motorcycle, bolts coming off and this highly touted dealer seeming to be much less than what I had expected.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Ducati has a Roadside Assistance plan I hear. Your situation sucks a bit but I think it's cool that you are refraining from flaming the dealer at this point. It's possible that there is a loose connection that you haven't found. It's possible that the battery has an internal short. It's also possible that you are having an immobilizer problem and have not done the proper start sequence. I bet it's something simple and "dumb".

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
i know this is a dumb question, but did you leave the key in the ignition when you climbed off your bike? My dealer said not to leave the key in the ignition for more than a few seconds if i wasnt going to start it. I have heard of guys not being able to start their bike because of this. (i believe this is a possible immobilizer problem stated earlier).

Have you tried the red key to reset it?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Ctrain said:
i know this is a dumb question, but did you leave the key in the ignition when you climbed off your bike? My dealer said not to leave the key in the ignition for more than a few seconds if i wasnt going to start it. I have heard of guys not being able to start their bike because of this. (i believe this is a possible immobilizer problem stated earlier).

Have you tried the red key to reset it?

I have heard that the dealers tell people that, but I have accidentally left the key in the ignition overnight and it started right up the next morning (in the garage of course)

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
NAKID said:
I have heard that the dealers tell people that, but I have accidentally left the key in the ignition overnight and it started right up the next morning (in the garage of course)
It's a 15 second timer on my bike. If I put it in, turn it, and don't hit the start w/in 15 seconds, I have to take it out and put it back in, turn, etc.

Pain in the butt. I just can't think of a scenario where this is advantageous...

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
When I had problems starting it turned out to be the ground strap. It attaches on the top of the cases behind the vert cylinder. I loosened & re-tightened mine and all was well.

Are you hearing the fuel pump? Any clicking of the starter relay or anything that might provide some clues?

Sorry about the dealer. Most dealers suck in my experience.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
NAKID said:
I know mine hasnt started after i have left the key in, but as stated before, just pull the key out and put it back in... started right up.

<threadjack> Hey nakid...i hope the recovery is going well. i read about the the accident. sorry to hear it happened. :( Best wishes to ya! </threadjack>

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
You didn't say if either the neutral light or engine block light is on. If the bike is in neutral and the light is not on the bike will not start unless you hold the clutch lever in. If the orange engine block light is on then bike will not start so you should try your other keys.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Ctrain said:
<threadjack> Hey nakid...i hope the recovery is going well. i read about the the accident. sorry to hear it happened. :( Best wishes to ya! </threadjack>
Thanks, it's going as good as can be expected. Hope to be able to start walking next month...

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Well, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just thought I'd mention the situation I went through with my S4RS.. It wouldn't start one day (probably around 1000 miles, can't remember exactly without looking it up) and it turned out to be that the wiring had melted to the Termi exhaust I had installed on it. The installer had not positioned the wiring properly and it melted.

Once this was remedied, the bike started fine and has ever since.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
wow! thats a great installer!! Ill make sure i take my bike to him! [laugh] i hope he covered the cost of that problem!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Battery..........
Dealer correctly diagnosed on phone and arranged for a new battery at shop...
Got it installed and have enjoyed another 150 miles no incidents.

I must say that it is one lovely motorcycle..............
Whether riding it down the road or looking at it in the garage......
I have not noticed any surging at all and the bike seems to run excellently.
Still breaking it in naturally but it is obviously a wonderfull motor, fast but not to fast, smooth but not to smooth. Chassis wise I like the riding positiion and while a little cramped (I'm 6'2") it was still comfortable to me immediatly although it could use a better seat. Suspension and Brakes lived up to my expectations.
The 2 days that it wouldn't run I go to sit out and just look at it in the garage from all angles and perspectives and decided that it is just "A Motorcycle" in a pure sense of the word....... a strong motor and frame, big brakes and stiff suspension with a tiny bugscreen to tuck yourself out of the wind and and equally small seat for a fair lady......

Everything you need
nothing more & nothing less

1 - 16 of 16 Posts