Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbour who proposed that he would be interested in trading his 2005 999 <might be an s> or his 2005 gsxr 1000 for my s2r or my ktm 625 smc supermoto. Starting to give it some thought
Any comments? I think he would want some cash in addition for the s2r to 999 trade but seems very flexible. He says he has spent 29k thus far on the 999 with all his mods

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Tell him that's about what you've got into the S2R [laugh]

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Really depends on how you use your S2R. If you commute on that bad boy I'd say bad idea. If you just ride it in the canyons or track it, probably a good choice.

The service $$ is almost double on the liquid cooled Ducatis. From what I can gather they are also a bit more problematic/tempermental. The air cooled Ducatis are near bullet proof and pretty cheap to maintain, as you already know.

That's all that pops in my little pea-brain this morning.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
GregP said:
The service $$ is almost double on the liquid cooled Ducatis.
that's what everybody likes to say, but scotty did my 6k for less than what a deal would have charged for a 2v... shopping around is a good thing to do.

GregP said:
From what I can gather they are also a bit more problematic/tempermental.
the only issue that really comes to mind is the flaky rocker issue, which is rare(?) on the testastretta bikes. either way, i think i saw a poston here recently saying that ducati has dropped the price of replacement rockers to $22.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Just think about why you are getting the bike. Insurance will probably be much more expensive and the 999's are dropping in price and desire. Also you maybe want to see if you and your neighbor can go for a 2hr plus ride on swapped bikes and get a sense of how the bike is going to feel after being on it for a while. Especially now that you have been spoiled by the comfort of the BMWs.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
insurance certainly an issue.

maintenance, not quite that bad. yes the 4Vs are more to maintain, but not 2x $.. my particular issues notwithstanding.

and come on lance, why even bother with this post? you're going to buy the 999 and keep your s2r. pretty soon you'll be able to put "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday"... on the back of each of your bikes.

[cheeky]

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My guesstimate on 4v maintanance is based on dealer costs.

Not everyone is fortunate to have Scotty return their calls and maintain their bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Man Lance, do you want to adopt me? You'll need help maintaing that stable ;) I'll take care of the neighbor >:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts