Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'08 S2R1000

So its one week and 1000 mi after my 7500 service (+belts), and I now have a cam cover leak (horizontal) which seems to be mainly around the plug. It doesn't leak when sitting, only when riding, and then manages to spread all over the right side.

Is there anything I can do on my own to deal with this? I am currently no where near a Ducati service place (unless anyone knows of anyone near the Black Hills in South Dakota). Will try to snug the entire cam cover, but it really looks like the spill is coming from the plug area.

Also, is it safe for me to continue for the 2000 mi I need to go to get home? I am currently going up and around from South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, etc, to Washington then back down to California. I know I can hit a Ducati place in Seattle. Can it wait until then? I am guessing if I watch oil levels, it should be okay but a little annoying having oil get everywhere...

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
you'll be fine, keep an eye on the oil levels and get a replacement gasket when you get to a dealer.

Did the other dealer use new gaskets?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks and other news

thanks for the reply, and i am happy to know that if it happens again. however, i think i judged wrong.

i think it was leaking down the cable from the oil cooler and flooding out the rim of the plug. just a quarter turn on the bolt seems to have fixed it for now. it was HOT in the Badlands, could that have caused it? also, i had it serviced in Denver then came down in elevation, could that have effected anything?

or was it just a loose bolt...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Probably just a loose line. They might have removed the oil cooler to keep it from getting damaged or loosened the line to move the cooler without removal of the entire thing. I would check it after about 500 miles , if it is still tight, Ride on!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.