Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I am still undecided as to which monster to get. I initially wanted the S2R1K but have seen too many posts with people having problems with them. that in itself is very discouraging since it is a new bike but not a new engine. I guess I would like to know how the two compare to each other. I know what the differences are between the two but has anyone ridden both back to back or have a friend they ride with who has one? I would like to hear opinions, pros and cons to both, the real life experiance by you not what I have to read on Ducati.com

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
S2R1000.

Creamy sexy stops traffic, and gets a ton of attention.
After pulling the O2sensor the bike is delicious.

Smooth transitions, falls into and leaps out of corners, strong pull, complete comfort from 10 mph to 120mph.
I can't stand driving my truck anymore. I want to ride everywhere.

Heavy traffic friendly, easily dispatches the sheep, yet polite in slow pods of confused cagers.

I picked up a screw in the rear tire on Sunday. First time ever dealing with a rearwheel on a SS swingarm. Holy CRAP do I like SSswimgarms!!!!

No problems since pulling that sensor. NO problems. I highly suggest throwing Pilot Powers (even the 2CT version) if you get one with the Pirelli's. In my opinion those Powers
were made for Monsters.

I can ride 100 miles without discomfort. Ergos, for me, are great.

Fun, fast, aggressive, polite, LOTS of power (my last ride was the (620dark). I can keep up with my husband and his 05 GSXR1000 on the weekends now. (well, not in the straightaways...lol, but hell I don't WANT to go that damn fast)

Suspension and controls leave options for riders on setup.

I'm keeping this bike for a VERY long time.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
How about an S4R? Sounds like you really want the litre engine. Move up to the 4 valve. More power, no running problems. In my case I initially wanted the 620 but took it up to the 800.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and you have had no problems at all? no surging at idle or when your riding? have you done any mods to the bike, has the bike had all its due services? do you think there is anything you are doing different that other S2R1K owners arnt doing or do you think that they are just getting bad bikes. I believe in the tuesday built bike theory which would stand to reason some bikes that are built may be better if the person(s) building the bike are having a bad day or not.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wanwo said:
How about an S4R? Sounds like you really want the litre engine. Move up to the 4 valve. More power, no running problems. In my case I initially wanted the 620 but took it up to the 800.
I would love an S4R but I dont think I can afford it financially. Honestly the S2R is what is in my budget and I am stretching for an S2R1K, if Money was not object I would pick up an S4RS

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Whatever you get make sure you have some money left for mods. Half the fun is in individualizing it.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
if you can afford it get the 1000, its a great engine, and the parts are much higher end than the 800. Most of the surging issues
are really not a big deal, unless you ride around town at 4,000rpm all the time. Mine has 1300 miles and overall its been great, just
make sure you have $ to buy pipes! good luck.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
sconly said:
and you have had no problems at all? no surging at idle or when your riding? have you done any mods to the bike, has the bike had all its due services? do you think there is anything you are doing different that other S2R1K owners arnt doing or do you think that they are just getting bad bikes. I believe in the tuesday built bike theory which would stand to reason some bikes that are built may be better if the person(s) building the bike are having a bad day or not.
No problems at all. None.

We disconnected the Lambda, filled the disconnected plugs with dielectric, and tucked them under/inside the engine area with zip ties.

I have not modded the exhaust, nor changed the mapping, nor added any PC. I didn't want to add more variables to the equation.

I (we, my husband rocks...he was a Crew Chief on C130s in the Air Force) did the 600 service myself, with an extra oil change at 410 miles
before that (we always change the oil a few hundred miles after a purchase to check for metal bits and such). We checked the plugs a few days ago,
they look good.

Gas mileage is between 39-41, depending on how hard I'm riding (commuting vs. North Runs on the weekend)

I'm at 2200 miles now. I plan on getting the Moto-One Mid Pipe to get rid of the bladder. Screw the 02sensor. Keeping the OEM cans, I like'm! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
318 Posts
The surging seems to be a US issue only. From what I read there is a published solution on this site anyway.
My Oz (euro) S2R1K runs perfectly and definately worth the extra money over the 800 in my opinion.
Go for it! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I own an '04 M800 and an '05 M1000S. You know the differences between the bike you are interested in so I won't point them out.

If all you will be doing is street riding and some canyon riding, the M800 or S2R will be a great bike. You can also do more with it. Rachel at Tiger racing has toured cross country, 48 states in 7 1/2 days on an S2R. But know that it will not outrun a 1000 everything else being equal.

Brake and Clutch master cylinders are basic with non adjustable levers. Hey, they work but you might eventually want better or not.

Front forks are not adjustable. Hey, they work but you might eventually want better or not.

The M1000S that I bought used has adjustable brake an clutch levers and front forks which I like. In their stock setting they are only slightly better but may, when set properly, be an even greater improvement over the basic M800 gear.

In my case the rear wheels and tires are different widths and react differently but only slightly. On the street it is not a big deal.

Because of differences in weight, transmission gear ratios and power curves and levels, the two bikes accelerate differently. It is more noticed in the first three gears but less so it the top three gears. It is not earth shattering.

The newer bikes however are geared differently. If correct, the Ducati.com website lists the front/rear sprockets on both '06 S2R and S2R 1K as the same (both 15/41) mine were different (15/39 vs 15/42 for the M1K vs M800 respectively). This suggests that the S2R 1K will accelerate even faster and stronger than my bike (M1000) all else being equal. This should make the difference between the two bikes you are looking at even more.

Finally, the M1000S and S2R 1K are better platforms for modifying for even better performance on the street and track. The 1K has a dry clutch which is noisier (woohoo) vs the M800 wet clutch which is OK. The S2R has a wet clutch but has APTC.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
I think the surging is a dealer prep and setup issue. I know several other owners locally here and no issues.FWIW

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
No surging here [thumbsup] Love my S2R1K just wish I had more money to keep modding ;)

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I have an s2r1k. yes i have surging issues. Enough where it is noticable at slow speeds and low rpms. but honestly, i only notice it when im riding down the street in a 25mph zone where i know there are a lot of *cough* ... children. On my bike the surging only occurs at a lower rpm (approx 4k-5k rpm). once im above that i notice nothing. I do a lot of commuting on my bike and dont really notice it at freeway speeds.

Other than that, through twisties and other roads, you'd never know!

I love my bike, and wouldnt change it for the world. I would like the surging issue resolved. But it really doesnt bother me that much. But then again... i think im on the lighter end of things when it comes to the problem. Some guys make it seem like it is just unbearable! Mine isnt that bad.

Personally, i opted for the 1k instead of the 800 because i didnt want to buy the bike and in a year wish i had more power. That being said... the 1k has more than enough to require a change of shorts after a good ride. But I dont know why the 800 would be much different.

You cant go wrong with either bike! pick a color you like... that will decide it for ya! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I own an S2R 800 and have ridden z!na's new S2R1000.

I prefer the grin factor that the S2R800's power delivery has. It has a LOT of torque from idle on up. You open throttle, bike goes. It's really entertaining.

S2R1000 has more power, yes. But it feels slower. Open throttle with the revs below 4500 or 5000 and you're greeted with lots of vibration and not inpressive thrust. Then it pulls from 5000 to 7000 really hard. But it's kinda lazy... Sure the speed happens, but it doesn't make me laugh until you're going waaay too fast. Clutch pull is insane, even with Yoyodyne clutch slave installed.

If you don't need to go over 115 or 120, then get the S2R 800 used and spend $$ on un-fncking the front brakes. I've got $1000 in my front brakes and stole some TiNi adjustable S4R forks for $500 from a DMLer. I've never had as much fun riding the roads or racetrack as on my S2R800. It really is fun. The friendly and usable punch the engine has really tickles me. The 800's slipper wet clutch has a really light pull that I enjoy.

Both bikes have rear shocks that are a waste of natural resources. And other than the engines and their related power delivery issues, they feel identical to me.

If you're doing city riding / commuting, the 800's friendliness gets my nod.

;D

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Owned both big fan of my s2r1000 for other reasons than speed. Dry Clutch, adjustable forks breaks and last but not least the big bad engine. I agree on the low end the s2r1000 is slightly faster in acceleration but nothing really noticeable as compared to the s2r 800. Loved both bikes and you can not go wrong with either it just depends on what perks you like. Do not make your decision based on speed. Have not had any surge issues guess I got a Wednesday bike.

-ghost

Good luck

·
Registered
704 Posts
first duc was an M620
got my s2r1k last november, thought i was gonna have 6k on it by june (and i live in a cold winter climate)
never had a problem with it, not one.
better oem equipment than the 800 as well

buy it [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
as far as the surging. I think it all depends on your own personal sensitivity towards such. Whether you'd notice it or not. It's really not that bad. I didn't even notice anything on mine until I read posts on here, then I noticed it. Kind of like when you buy a new car, then all of a sudden you see tons of them. The people who don't notice the surge........just don't notice it, but it's there. The fuel injection is just not perfected with the o2 sensor. Just like Triumph's first go at injection was a flop.

So, you might get the bike and think it runs perfect. Then again, you might notice the slight surge....and it is very slight.

If you do notice this, like me, I just snipped the o2 sensor connector link off and silicone glued the ends. You can't see a thing. If I go aftermarket exhaust, they don't have an o2 sensor on them anyway. So, what's the big deal in disconnecting it? There is none. A 2 minute job. Don't let that stop you from buying one. It's an awesome bike.

Tom

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a TL1000R and its Suzukis first attempt at fuel injection, I have a surging or what I would call a stuttering problem at approximately 3500 if I am on the track racing I dont notice it but if I am crusing in traffic anywhere near those rpms. There is no fix. I started this thread to see who has what and who has done what about it. I love the enthusiasm in the responses and I appreciate the help in deciding on a bike. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Only ridden mine s2r 1k, great bike, last sportbike before my Warrior was a zx10. Believe it or not, the Duc is way more fun and gets way more looks. It was a huge discussion generating bike at Dayonta Biketoberfest this year. You'd of thought I built it myself. bikers and pedestrians all wanted to chit chat about the bike. No buyers remorse here. Except for the riding comfort issue, ordered a set of riser extentions today. Also I might need to rethink the exhaust issue. Quat D maybe, I need to get the heat off of the back of the bike for my wife. I also need to get a backrest when monstrack get's them back into production. Did I mention mirrors, they got to go. Other than that, no mods. That's where I draw the line.. maybe.

oh yeah ducati rocks. Oh and by the way, you folks make HD owners look passive ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts