Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to take my top triple off to have it machined to fit my SBK forks. I was looking at the service manual for removing the triple and realized that I need to order steering stem tool, ducati part 88713.1058. For those that have removed the triple where did you get it without sacrificing a kidney (I'm saving the kidney to buy a rear shock [laugh])?

·
Registered
760 Posts
You do NOT need the steering stem tool to remove the top triple.

Once you're removed everything taht's in the way, like handlebars... You only have to loosen the 3 pinch bolts around the fork legs/steerer stem to remove the top triple. Then tap it with a rubber mallet to get it off.

That steering stem tool is used to adjust the play in the headstock bearings and doesn't/shouldn't be messed with unless you intend to change them out/lube the headset bearings. And then if you want that tool Desmotimes has them for less than a kidney.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SOOOOOOOOOOOO Glad I asked, thanks guys!!!!! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If/when you do need that tool, Motowheels sells a nice one that's not too pricey.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Norm said:
If/when you do need that tool, Motowheels sells a nice one that's not too pricey.
or you can make your own tool.
I've made 2 of them using a drill and about $5 worth of hardware and material from Home Depot.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ducatizzy said:
But the point is, you don't need the tool to remove the triple .....
lol yea i got that thanks [laugh]

·
Registered
917 Posts
MichMonsterS4 said:
you wanna share a pic of the tools ? [thumbsup]
I'll try to remember to snap a couple of pics.
basically all you need is a piece of bar stock, drill 2 or three holes matching the hole pattern on the stem nut, and put a screw in each of the holes.

car we get a full size pic of your avitar? [thumbsup]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts