Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are issues with the S2R fuel tanks? Is it possible for them to become out of shape? I have an issue with my 06 S2R1000 where the tanks rubber supports don't rest on the frame properly. If one is lined up the other is off. Also, the tank latch is too close to the ignition switch making it difficult to get it down to the hook to latch it. The tank bracket near the seat is moved all the way back. I know it's a molded tank and I'm wondering if somehow the tank could get out of shape by overheating or whatever.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Monster tank defects

I had an '06 620 that had the same issue. Never thought much of it, as the bike was always that way. Don't really need to worry about it now though - it was run over and totaled by a NYC plow last week (while parked!). I guess fire-engine red is a difficult color to miss when immediately in front of you in an otherwise dull grey landscape. Buying an '07 S2R 1k - I'll let you know if it has the same issue.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about your loss but it sounds like you're amking out in the process. I did learn from one of the other forums that this is a problem that affects some of the plastic tanks. Now we'll see if my dealer will step up and cover the replacement under warranty.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

After a lot of research I've found this is an issue with Ducati plastic tanks. Not all are affected but there are quite a few and I think some people don't even realize they have a problem. I only noticed because the tank latch was so tight against the ignition but the tank doesn't rest on the frame.
Anyway, I contacted the dealer, gave him my VIN, which he called in to DNA. The regional rep said the tank could be replaced under the 5 year emissions warranty. I haven't gotten the new tank yet but I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The tank rest properly on my S2R1k, however I would agree with a latch being to close to the ignition switch. Once when I had my bike serviced, one of the guys at the dealership did not paid attention and pushed the tank latch to the other side of hinge (meaning between ignition and the hinge bracket) good thing I inspected that few day later…the tank seemed tight but could disengage at any time….not to safe…now I double check every time…

·
Registered
8 Posts
can anyone with an S2R take a pic of their tank latch and ignition - ideally from the top looking down. pulled my battery for the winter and having a b!tch of a time trying to get the latch back down. could my tank have swollen? it looks ok :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don’t think tank could “swollen”….the fit is tight….I’ll get you a pic once I get home…

·
Registered
58 Posts
See attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
This post is a little old, but I just wanted to let everyone know what I know about this issue. I have posted this in other threads as well.

I have the same issue with my '07 S2R 800 and after showing the dealership, they took some pictures and sent them to Ducati for approval. It won't cost me a dime to have it fixed according to them. The guy who took the photos did so on his iPhone and unlatched the tank in order to push it back and forth to give the impression the problem was much worse than it is. He didn't think it was necessary, but did it anyway. The problem is the turn signal/horn switch hits the tank when you lock the tree and it has chipped the paint away a bit. The tree also hits the front of the tank and the tank latch is being pushed close to the ignition switch. Before long you won't be able to unlatch it and will have to remove the tank from the rear first in order to get it off.

I don't know why they haven't recalled the tanks, instead it is done case by case and they should replace it free of charge. It's not your fault Ducati decided to use nylon for their tanks. This is not only a problem because of the handlebars hitting, but also because your fuel capacity is affected as well since the tank swells in all directions.

The dealership I go to is in Pensacola, FL. It's not a large dealership, but they seem to do good work. They showed me a product that will stop the swelling from happening once the tank is replaced that they say works very well. Why they haven't just made the tanks from a new material I don't know. Apparently after a couple months the ethanol and gas begin to separate and the tank, being made of nylon, absorbs the ethanol and swells. This is a chemical thing and apparently this stuff stops it from happening or at least slows the process down a lot. I will get the name of the stuff once I go back to get the tank replaced and post it up here. The gentlemen told me it would keep the stuff from separating for at least a year, but probably not two years as stated on the bottle.

At least one good thing will come of all this though. They are going to arrange a test drive while I wait for the tank replacement. There is a nice, shiny 2011 1198 I would like to get my butt on for a few minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts