Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I have an '07 S2R 800 and would like to upgrade my stock suspension because it's pretty awful. I've had some experience with Ohlins on off road vehicles and had pretty good luck, so I'd like to go that route. What are my options as far as forks with Ohlins, and will I need to swap out brakes as well? Wheel spacers? Any super bike forks that will fit with minimal mods? As for the rear shock, I know the DU321 is an obvious option, but not very adjustable. Would like to run a DU046 with the piggy back reservoir with one remote adjuster. I looked at the DU333 as well, but it has 2 remote adjusters and I'd like to keep the bike clean, and minimize having tubes tie wrapped everywhere. The DU046 may pose SSS clearance issues, with the reservoir, under suspension compression, so I'd be very interested in hearing peoples experiences with that shock especially since it's what I'd like to run the most. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im in the same boat. i read somewhere that a 749/999 shock would fit??? is this true?
Found a thread on here of someone with a S2R1K running Ohlins front/rear setup from a 998r. Here's the thread...

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...n-i-mount-a696-1100-lower-clamp-my-s2r-2.html

Looks like the Ohlins DU-143 shock, which has a piggy backed reservoir. It's on the outside of where the swing arm crosses over, so it makes sense it should clear. He looks like he's even using stock fork clamps on those Ohlins forks. Can anyone else chime in with some experience running this set up?

· Premium Member
865 Posts
I have mounted a 999 shock on my S2R1k and love it. Simple process, just have to remove oil breather box, relocate coil & regulator/rectifier. Night and day difference.

Reactions: Devo68

· Premium Member
865 Posts
If I remember right, the forks from an S2R 1000 will bolt right in. You will need to change calipers and rotors though. I could be wrong but I think they are a direct swap.

Reactions: Devo68

· Registered
6 Posts
Since OP is in Los Angeles, you can also have RaceTech revalve the internal for your forks. Their headquarter is in Corona. Had my s2r1000 done a couple months ago and I am very happy with the improved handling.

· Registered
422 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Traxxion dynamics cartridges

I was looking to upgrade my forks . Traxxion Dynamics said they can replace my internal cartridge & springs with full adjustable ones. You use your same tubes so you don't have to worry about you triples or brake calipers not being compatible. I had them do work on a track bike several years ago when I used to race and was happy with their work.

· Registered
422 Posts
i was originally only gonna upgrade the brakes because the 2 piston are garbage, but ended up getting TiN coated 999 forks for a great price, so i said screw it and just did the whole thing. unbelievable upgrade... completely differnt bike now..... now for the lack of power...hrrmmph

· Registered
1 Posts
Yes, that's what I would do..have Race Tech revalve them. Ages ago I rode a GS1100 with non adj. forks. I had Race Tech revalve them and it was amazing. Lots of travel/absorbing holes in road yet amazingly firmed up on fast curvy riding.

I emailed RT today to see if they can, in fact, revalve the forks with the gold valves. Mike in the tech.dept says "We can not fit gold valves in this model. The cartridge is sealed. Springs and seals are available only."

· Registered
Ducati Monster S2R 800
18 Posts
I have mounted a 999 shock on my S2R1k and love it. Simple process, just have to remove oil breather box, relocate coil & regulator/rectifier. Night and day difference.
Bumping this thread. Please can you send me some pictures just to see how it looks like? What is the process of removing breather box?

· Registered
44 Posts
Race Tech sucks. They're the "can't do" suspension shop. Traxxion Dynamics in GA can retrofit even the cheapest garbage OEM M695 Marzocchi forks with fully adjustable 20mm cartridges. When the other shops give you limitations & excuses, Traxxion delivers the goods. Want the outer tubes anodized a different color? Traxxion can do. Want a TiN coating on your plain chromed inner tubes? Traxxion can do. Want the lowers powdercoated? Yep. Their cartridge kits are precision engineered in-house. They have a shock dyno (not every shop has one of these). Their personnel are educated engineers. With like PhDs & stuff like that. You can tell I like their work.

Kyle Racing is another good shop. Lindemann Engineering, GP Suspension are others. Also, I know you want the Ohlins etc etc but just be advised, it doesn't have to be Ohlins to be good suspension. So if you want just a single remote reservoir rear shock, why not consider a Penske? Penske make unbelievably good suspension. Little more exotic than Ohlins as not everybody and their mother run Penskes in their bikes but great product anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts