Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, been a while since I posted here, so, I've owned my Honda Nighthawk for a while, haven't done as much riding as I would have liked, but I put a little bit over 1000 miles on it, it was my first bike, prior to purchasing it, I completed the MSF course. I think I'm ready to get my Monster, at least I hope.

So, I have always wanted the S2R, but, the difference between the 800 and the 1000 is $1000. I can afford this difference, should I be interested in going for the S2R 1000 or shall I just stick to the 800 because it would be a big enough jump from my 250?

thanks

·
0 Posts
well the 800 will be a bit more timid and won't "get you into trouble" as fast and quickly as the 1000. The 800 might fell lighter than the 1000, but the 1000 has better brakes and suspension.

I suggest you take a test ride of both and give it some gas when you do. Does the 1000 scare you when you take it to the red? If yes = get the 800.

DON'T ride above your head though, please. Just don't buy the bike thinking "I'll grow into it" If that is the case, buy a nicer used bike for another year and then get the new bike you want. Last thing you want to do, besides hurting yourself, is wad up your nice, new, pretty, dream bike.

My 2 cents, good luck [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
if the $1000 is really no big deal, get the better suspension and brakes.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The only reasons to buy the 800 over the 1000 are if you want the wet slipper clutch instead of the dry clutch and somewhat less vibration (and potentially less risk of the surging problems some have experienced). Neither is any more or less likely to get you in trouble than the other. I chose the 800 over the 1000 for the reasons above, even knowing I was going to spend more than 1k to upgrade the forks and likely brakes as well. I wanted the wet clutch and I prefer the 800 motor, but both are personal preferences, not an indictment of the 1k. I'm very happy with my decision so far.

I actually started the process thinking I was getting an S4R or S4RS and wound up buying the 800. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
the 800 is kind of an oddity in my opinion.

if money isn't a decider, get the 1000. Better brakes, suspension, and a dry clutch, plus better resale, you will never outgrow it, etc.

mitt

·
Registered
454 Posts
I love my 800. Never rode a 1000. I wouldn't mind a faster bike, but i don't get the impression that the 1000 is too much faster/quicker than the 800.

Brakes/suspension? I'm no Moto GP guy.. and i think they are both above par as compared to other manufacturers, but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I initially wanted the S21000R but have heard about more surging issues that I am comfortable with not to mention I test rode and S4RS since then and I am hooked on that bike.

if I was you I would get the 1000 though, the surging issue is an easy fix and my only real reason for wanting the RS is the upgraded suspension and brakes and motor, I plan on being at the track a lot ;D

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
i really like the 800 motor, and they respond to work very nicely. clutch is heaps lighter too.

altho they don't have adjustable front suspension, the assumption is that the adjustable stuff is better. as a general rule, they need the same work the non adjustable forks do, you can just move stuff that doesn't really need moving once it's been done right.

any mods you make to either will most likely involve the same or very similar bits and costs - exhaust, suspension, etc, and you can use the spare $1000 to upspec the brakes if you feel the need.

then again, i've been flogging the demo s2r 1000 around recently so i do kind of like that one too. maybe a s/h s4r? mmmmmmm. wheelies.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just made this same decision. I decided on the S2R 1000 and am happy with my choice. I guess I am what they call a re-entry rider. I last had a bike back in 1998 and hadn't really rode since. I can say that I don't find the 1000 too much motor. It could be if you don't practice good throttle control but so far I've not had any problems. For that matter I think poor throttle control on the 800 would get you into just as much trouble.

The S2R 800 in 06 came in Tangerine which is the fastest color :D It has a wet, slipper clutch, which is better around town, and the motor is pretty good.

The S2R 1000 has better brakes, better front suspension, a dry clutch, adjustable levers and about 15-20 more horsepower. Easily worth it for the $1000.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
just was contemplating the same thing. i would've bought the S2R 800, but ended up with a used S4 instead. may still buy and S2R later though and keep the S4 for track days. ;D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If money is no factor, get them both ;D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Threadjack? wet is lighter than dry clutch?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
CliveS2R said:
Threadjack? wet is lighter than dry clutch?
not that i'm aware. i'm sure there's some kind of weight difference, but probably nothing meaningful.

were it me, i'd be all over that 1000 (unless i decided to go 4v ;)).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Archimedes said:
I actually started the process thinking I was getting an S4R or S4RS and wound up buying the 800. Go figure.
Did the same and have 30 years riding experience. Was thinking S4R cos there was a good deal on one, rode both 800 and 1000 and just prefered the feel of the 800. Though the bikes are the same weight the 800 is more flickable-lower rotating mass of motor is the reason. Its power is also much smoother and I love the clutch. I've owned a Monster w/ the dry clutch and the slipper is so much better. What you don't know won't hurt you on the suspension and the brakes in my opinion. As a new rider you'll do much better w/ the 800.

Use the $1000 or so to get a set of pipes for the true desmo experience. Can't beat that sound...

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
brad black said:
altho they don't have adjustable front suspension, the assumption is that the adjustable stuff is better. as a general rule, they need the same work the non adjustable forks do, you can just move stuff that doesn't really need moving once it's been done right.
i understand what you're saying, but most people aren't going to find a suspension guy that will spend a lot of (free) time trying different weight suspension fluid and re-re-re-adjusting the shims until it's right.

now, i'm sure they'll charge for all the extra work, but i think it's still a case for the 1000 with all the twiddly bits.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Since you are kind of a newbie rider....

The 800 is nice, but the S2R1000 is a higher performing bike (engine, suspension). It also has the dry clutch... my favorite. If you can grow into the level of performance of the S2R1000, then buy it. If you are don't care about that level of performance buy the 800.

·
Registered
54 Posts
zarn02 said:
not that i'm aware. i'm sure there's some kind of weight difference, but probably nothing meaningful.

were it me, i'd be all over that 1000 (unless i decided to go 4v ;)).
If I am not mistaken they are talking about the clutch pull. The clutch pull on the dry clutch is heavier and harder on the hands than the wet. Some people prefer the wet while intown due to using it more often. Choice left up to me I would have a dry clutch any day of the week. I love the sound.

For the $ I would say go with the 1k, that is what I plan on doing here shortly. If not only for the dry clutch then for the brakes and suspension. If you ask me I am not sure why they even offer the 800. Ok, I do but I would never get it. I don't think, lol. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
the s2r 800 wet clutch is the APTC unit, which has a much lighter lever pull than the std dry clutches or other wet clutches. much, much lighter. my 750m clutch has the same lever effort as my 851 did before i started pulling springs out. can't really do that with the 750 clutch tho.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My two cents

I have had several bikes, some much higher displacements than the 800 and I have found i get more 'fun' from the 600 to 800 range bikes.

I have an 800 and absolutely love it - and money was not an object here (as much anyway) as I put on a full termi kit, 14t sprocket, ohlins damper, and chopped the tail.

The stock suspension is quite good - (compared to a Japanese stocker for this price)

I think my next bike would be an MS 1000 - for longer rides, and the 800 for the short, fun twisties.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I chose the 800 and after 6 months I find it's really perfect for me. I wouldn't want a heavier or more powerful monster than this.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts