Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I'm a noob to the Ducati family (picking up an 06 S2R 800 this weekend) and I've got a couple quick questions for the board. Please pity the noob. Actually, I'm a re-noob, as this is my 8th street bike. I rode for about 20 years on various standards and sportbikes and did lots of trackdays until a freak accident in 2000 left me with a destroyed right leg. Recovery, kids growing, and work kept me from jumping back into motorcycling. Time's come.

I've searched the board on these topics and found some good info, but not exactly what I'm looking for. My questions relate to exhausts. I actually love the look of the stock exhaust, but not the sound.

First, for those of you who've done just the Arrow slip-ons, do they sound as good as the full systems? I'm looking to open up the sound a bit, but don't need the full system unless it really sounds a lot better and/or really improves performance. I've heard clips of the full system and it sounds great. Not a huge fan of the

Second, for those with the Arrow full system, did the new pipes improve the right foot placement issue at all? I've got big feet and would love more room there.

Third, do you need any fuel remapping/airbox work to run the Arrow full system or is it bolt and go?

Fourth, has anyone installed the Arrow full system themselves and, if so, how easy was the process?

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions. I'm probably gonna do suspension work as well, but I want to live with the bike a while before I decide what to do in that regard.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've pulled the pipes on my S2R and love the sound. The looks are only so-so without the pipes. I added some slash-cut tips and it looks OK, right peg feels normal now. I would mod the stock cans BUT now that I am used to the right peg without the stock pipes I don't think I could go back.

I should look into Arrow as well for right perg feel. The Arrow pipes do sound wonderful.

A good solution for the peg feel would be the exbox exhaust. I haven't heard one yet but the looks are better than the bladder. I love how open the swingarm area is.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome to the board. You will be able to find lots of information about the arrow exhaust using the search button.

1 slip-ons sound close. I had slip-ons and added the cat eliminator later and it did sound a little bit better. But at only 200 bucks difference or so the full system will make the bike look better.

2 No. Size 13s and all my shoes have melted heels. I may have them ceramic coated so they don't get so hot. Plus it will look bitchin.

3 Don't touch the intake and the arrows should be fine. It will make them pop and sputter a bit but it'll be OK. You may want to get a PowerComander eventually though.

4 Full system installation will take an additional sixer and keep your kids clear of the cussing but you should have it on in a hour or so. BTW. Have your dealer get you new exhaust gaskets right away and get some high temp exhaust sealant.

Carbon Arrow don't have baffles so they sound (awesome) loud.
I'll expect to see some pictures of you new bike posted with doughnuts after the weekend.

Enjoy
Luke

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. After stewing on it a day and calling around for pricing on the various systems, I think I'm gonna focus on suspension and brakes first and exhaust later. Definitely gonna do an Ohlins rear shock and then see if there is anything that can be done to the front forks. If not, I may just have to spring for the Ohlins forks at some point. Gonna give a call over to Lindemann and see if they have any suggestions.

I like the look of the stock cans and I need a way to swap back to stock if I want to do any track days at Laguna, so I'm thinking maybe the Spark/Desmo header and then some slip ons. It's been a long time since my last track day there but they always had a pretty strict noise restriction.

Pics may have to wait. I don't think I'm even gonna get to ride it this weekend given the holiday stuff. Gotta drive an hour to pick it up, truck it back home and then head right off to family stuff. Might be Christmas day before I get to really ride it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
are you considering a S2R1000 at all? much better brakes and suspension than the 800. better power. same options for exhaust upgrades. and a dry clutch!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
b.h. said:
are you considering a S2R1000 at all? much better brakes and suspension than the 800. better power. same options for exhaust upgrades. and a dry clutch!
Yes, I considered the 1000 but decided against it for a number of reasons. I don't care for the stiff lever pull of the dry clutch, the extra vibes in that bike, or the risk of the surging problems I've read about. And I prefer the power delivery of the 800. What I figure I gave up by going 800 v. 1000 were the front forks and brakes, but I was able to get a left over 06 for 3 grand less than any dealer around here would give me a 1000 for. For $3k I can put an Ohlins rear shock on it and still have 2/3rds of the money needed for the Ohlins fork upgrade. Considering the 1000's forks aren't great anyway and I would have put money into them anyway, I figure it's almost a wash. For the same $, I'll have an Ohlins suspended 800 v. a stock 1000.

I'll do brakes last if I really need them. My riding style is not throttle hard/brake hard so I'm not sure whether it'll be necessary. I need more time on the bike before I decide.

The 800 motor is all I need to have plenty of fun.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Congrats on the new S2R 800, and welcome to the DML!

I think you're on exactly the right track with your modifications. Start with the suspension stuff, and worry about the exhaust later -- especially if you think you'll run into noise compliance issues at the track.

My '04 M800 has the same front forks as your S2R 800 (same motor, too). This winter, I'm replacing the forks with a rebuilt secondhand pair of adjustable Showas. At $750 or so, a similar setup would save you a ton of coin compared to an Ohlins R&T fork. Money you could put towards your track days, etc. Just something to think about...

Anyway, welcome aboard. Post pics of your new bike when you get 'er home! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I don't know anything about suspension and I just run the stock setup. I'm curious as to why you're going with the Ohlin rear shock as your first mod. Does it make such a difference?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wanwo said:
I don't know anything about suspension and I just run the stock setup. I'm curious as to why you're going with the Ohlin rear shock as your first mod. Does it make such a difference?
Made a big difference on my last 2 bikes, but I also had Lindemann do the front forks on both bikes at the same time. I want fully adjustable suspension on my bikes and have it set up specifically to my weight and riding style. Actually, after a long talk with the mechanic when I was picking up my 800, he mentioned there is a $799 fork kit that when coupled with a $300 Ohlins valve kit and around $200 labor will give me an awesome front end much cheaper than the Ohlins R/T forks. I think I'll do that coupled with a rear Ohlins shock and then just work on getting that dialed in.

If you have no intention of doing track days or really hard street riding, I wouldn't go overboard on suspension. Spend the money elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Welcome to the board! You made a great choice with the S2R [thumbsup]

Until I get the full Termi system in March, I just knocked the baffles out of my stock cans. They sound much better. A cheap option to keep you sane until the new Arrows arrive. Have fun bro! ;D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I cored my mufflers out , it sounded pretty good. When I added the full DP header was when it REALLY sounded good. The cat is where alot of the muffling is. Havent done the power commander and it runs great.

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
Having ridden an S2R 800 for a couple of years and after a lot of mods I think you are right--suspension first. My Ohlins rear made a world of difference in ridability and confidence. I still want to mod the fronts but can live with them. I am an aggressive driver and I could not live with the stock front brakes. What I did is complete overkill, but I have stop on a dime one finger front brakes. There are many other much cheaper front brake mods that you should consider that will do 90% of what I have for less money (but hey, my passion is working on bikes and cars and I do all of my own work). The exhaust mod is sweet, but it is expensive and is less important than the suspension, IMHO.

In any case, I am happy with my bike and went for a late ride (for these parts) last weekend.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Hopefully I caught you in time...

If you are a size 13 foot, I am guessing you are a pretty big guy, so there is one very critical consideration - the 800 does not have any adjustment in the front.

At 220 lbs, I corrected this by changing out the springs - 95 lb & heavier oil in the front, 600 in the back. This is about a $400 fix, but still doesn't get to the starting point of the 1000. Having the suspension set to your weight is the most noticable mod you can make.

As for the exhaust, just go with the full system. Getting rid of the utter makes the bike look so much better. Also throw in a PCIII, and open up the airbox .

To keep form melting your heels, as well as get your feet in the right place, the Cycle Cat rearsets are awesome.

Whatever your decision, welcome to the club.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice. An Ohlins shock is going in back and either the Ohlins R/Ts are going up front or a set of Showas with an Ohlins valve kit. I'm tall and thin (165lbs pre-leathers), size 11 boot so I will have some trouble with the pipes. I love the sound of the Arrows, but don't love the look of the cans as much as the Termignoni's or the Ferracci's. I also need the ability to switch back to the stock cans for track days at Laguna. They have a strict noise restriction and the only way to beat it is to short shift up the hill, which $ucks because it's one of the more technical sections and a great place to really test your skill. I may just do the Spark header first.

I took delivery today but due to family committments of the next few days won't be able to do my first real long ride until midweek. Gonna take some pics and post some first impressions then.

The only bummer so far is the brand new, beautiful red/silver Arai Quantum helmet I bought last week when I thought I was getting a silver/black 1000 doesn't match my orange 800, so I'm gonna order the Schwantz tommorrow. Anyone in Silicon Valley want a REALLY sweet deal on a brand new Quantum II Hacking (red and black, medium)?

Oh the other bummer was when I was unloading the bike from my truck I brushed one of the tie down clamps against the tank and chipped the paint. It's out of the way but man is this paint soft. Beautiful but soft.

First impressions so far is this bike is beautiful. I had never seen the Tangerine in person before driving to this dealer and picking it up. Man it looks great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.