Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a Zard exhaust, no airbox lid, and K&N filter

http://www.ducatimonster.org/gallery/albums/userpics/23230/IMG_1167.JPG

The Power Commander, installed soon after I bought the bike, was initially set up with a program for my cored stock cans. Soon after that I changed to the Zard full system. The bike seemed to run okay. Today the dyno confirmed it. The initial test (shown by the blue line) confirmed that the bike was not running lean. The custom map was then created (the red line) to smooth out the bumps.

Custom mapping increased the maximum power from 72.5 to 73.1

The graph shows torque peaking at 7000 revs and power peaking at around 8000 revs. Engineer's comment was, 'No point taking it much beyond 8000 revs. At that point, change gear.'

It's good to know my fuel injection is now optimal and that my monster is happy!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
nice (fairly) flat torque curve. My seat-of-the-pants dyno registers about the same. [cheeky]

I really like this motor. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I'm running Zards with K&N and stock lid. My bike dyno'd at 72.52 hp and 50.52 tq. I'm still waiting to do the opened lid.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My max torque was 52.1. Your figures are not that much different to mine. Interesting that the open airbox may not have much effect other than the great sound ;D

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I wont tell you what mine made them. Not an S2r just a standard Monster ;)

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
My 03 800 made 79 hp with a very flat torque curve. I took it to the dyno with a open airbox and came home with the stock lid. The dyno operator said the open lid made 1/2 hp more but the fuel/air curve looked much better with the closed lid. I missed the open airbox sound but I would have my engine running at its best!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Seems like there should be more out put. 79 sounds right.

Any one pushing over 80hp from a 800 with no piston change?

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Interesting that the torque/hp curves were 'good' until around 7,000 rpm. What did you do to the map to smooth it out above 7K (i.e., what do you attribute the chaos in the torque curve above 7,000 to)?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know the why's of it. Can someone explain why torque drops off like that?

I think it looks more dramatic than it is. The actual torque numbers are:

47 at 3500 revs
52 at 7000 revs (maximum)
48 at 8000 revs
45 at 8500 revs
42 at 9000 revs

At 8500 revs, which is pretty high for this bike, the torque is almost the same as it is at 3500 revs.

All I really know is that it pulls very nicely from just about everywhere :)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I have a 2003 800sie with Arrow pipes, BMC air filter, open airbox, PCIII, and custom map.
HP went from 73.2 to 75.2 and Torque increased from 51.1 to 54.6. 79 hp seems high.
The biggest improvement is when the RPMs are between 4500 and 6000.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I too have an '06 S2R 800. Is the 73.1 hp at the rear wheel? My manual says that the engine should put out 77hp. I was hoping to get above 80 with Termi system I'm having installed in Feb.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You will not get 80 with just exhaust

·
Registered
57 Posts
anybody here remove their catbox?

when you say "full zard" system do you mean you replaced the full pipes back to the headers?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's all new piping except for the last 6 inches before the headers. That's the 'full system'. So, yes the cat is gone.

With some brands, like Termignoni, you can buy just the mufflers and they will fit with your existing pipes but I'm not sure Zard offer that yet. But it's worth the money (if you have it). Zard piping is very beautiful.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
remember guys, that dyno numbers are only numbers, some operators set them up to read realistic some set them up to give high readings, this is quite easily manipulated by changing the PEP setting amongst others. on top of that, different weather conditions can effect power output, what would be interesting would be a comparison of torque and horsepower curves without the numbers, and at the end of the day, these aren't race bikes, setting them up to run right is supposed to enhance the riding experience, leave the big numbers arguments for the R1vGSX-R crew.
just my 2c,
cheers,
paul.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts