Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Are you suffering from problems with your S2R 1000? Are you running a stock exhaust?

• No problems/Stock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No problems/Aftermarket

• Yes/Stock

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just trying to get an idea on how widespread the issue is. Any comments would be great.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got the Spark header and CF pipes and for now everything's going well. Only thing is that the header is bronzing, but some might find this a thing of beauty. I would rather have it staying nice and chrome. Otherwise, [thumbsup]

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have no O2 sensor and a DP ECU from day one. No problems. They had to figured out how to tune it after it was first installed. 6,000 miles now showing.

* Ducati Performance S2R1000 ECU
* No O2 sensor
* Open airbox
* Sparks full exhaust (baffels deleted option)

·
Registered
160 Posts
On my '07, I haven't had the bad surging problem while riding part throttle in the 3000 rpm range (crosses fingers). The problem I have is with startup and not being able to achieve a steady idle, with much popping and backfiring until the temp is a little ways out of the LOW temp zone. The bike is mechanically stock right now and due for its 600 mile service. The idle problem just surfaced in the last couple hundred miles, was running excellent upon delivery.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
When I formally raised this issue with Ducati North America in mid-summer, I wanted to demonstrate that it was not an isolated problem. I went through numerous DML postings and came up with at least 20 different S2R1K owners who had reported similar low-rpm surging problems.

knowpain said:
I am just trying to get an idea on how widespread the issue is. Any comments would be great.

B

·
0 Posts
Never had any surging problems with my bike, neither with the stock silencers nor with my current ARC RC meg slip-ons.....running stock ECU/ O2 sensor....counting myself fortunate....

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've told my story a few times here so briefly:
Arc Fab mufflers, Spark CAT eliminator pipe, retains O2 sensor.
Had some surging problems but after 6000 service (performed at 4400 miles...another story) has run like a champ since.

My opinion: A set-up problem more than a design engineering problem, a good, knowledgeable mechanic should be able to eliminate any surging issues.

I get 50 MPG or over, consistently...doesn't seem to be the case with those who unplug the O2.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have a '06 S2r1K and have never experienced a surge. I'm running a Sparks full system and open airbox. When the motor was new and under 600 miles it would hunt for a smooth idle once in a while when the motor was cold. But that all cleared up after the first service.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Jones said:
I have a '06 S2r1K and have never experienced a surge. I'm running a Sparks full system and open airbox. When the motor was new and under 600 miles it would hunt for a smooth idle once in a while when the motor was cold. But that all cleared up after the first service.
Same here, no problems at all, with SilMotor and spark midpipe!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Spark + full open Arrows + O2 sensor.

I get a little popping on decel when the rpms drop below 4500 rpm, but that's from the O2 sensor leaning out the A/F mix in that range.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Drjones said:
Spark + full open Arrows + O2 sensor.

I get a little popping on decel when the rpms drop below 4500 rpm, but that's from the O2 sensor leaning out the A/F mix in that range.

So popping is caused by a lean mixer? I ask because I had a tiny amount of popping during the summer but it cleared up with the winter weather. (But during the summer heat I would run the stock airbox). And now with the cold weather I can run the open airbox with no popping and the sparkplugs look perfect.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bad news folks I just heard all 07 will have o2 sensor installed atleast thats what I read in the northwest forum .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts