Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my S2R1000 to my Dealer on Friday for a messed up neutral light. It would come on but not where it should. I happened quickly. It was good one day and the next ride I took it wasn't.

I had heard that to repair this the shifting drum had to be removed and replaced, this would require removal of the engine from the frame and splitting the cases.

My dealer had said that there were other possibilities: bad switch or adjustments required to the shifting mechanism but that he would have to check those and if not the motor had to come out. Mine was not the simple repair...mine is the split the cases repair.

So this is a new neutral light set-up in these engines. the shift drum has a non-conductive material wrapping around it where the neutral light switch rests. When the bike is in neutral there is an interruption in the non-conductive material so the switch grounds out on the metal drum and your light comes on. Well it appears that this non-conductive material can slip and rotate around the drum, giving you a green light where it shouldn't be and none where it should be.

It is under warranty but just a heads up to any recent 1000 engine owners. Something to watch out for.

I don't know if it is mileage related but I had about 7,500 miles on mine when it happened.

I don't know, but I think Ducati took something simple and made it too complicated. Needing to split the cases to fix a neutral light!? If it was not covered under warranty I would not get it fixed and I would do away with the side stand interlock and the neutral light all together.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I don't know, but the switch listed is the same as an 02 750. That switch grounds to the case. Also why would any engineer try to establish a ground on an oiled surface, even an Italian one? Something is fishy here. :-\ I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ducpainter said:
I don't know, but the switch listed is the same as an 02 750. That switch grounds to the case. Also why would any engineer try to establish a ground on an oiled surface, even an Italian one? Something is fishy here. :-\ I guess anything is possible.
Yeah, that is what I thought at first too. I had called a local Duck dealer and he gave me the explaination. I then called the dealer I bought the bike from. I trust this man and he does all the work on my Ducatis that I can't do. He had not heard of this either and wondered if the other dealer had multiple brands (which he does) and thought that perhaps he had mixed up the other brand with the Ducati...

Well, he researched it and found that the first dealer was correct. It is a new design unlike that used on earlier 1000 DS motors.

As to why it is engineered that way; who knows but it is what it is and like I said in the first post. Glad it is under warranty and if it weren't...I would not pay to get that fixed.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I just looked at the parts breakdown. It seems like the same switch, as ducpainter says and does not show a non conductive sleave. As I said, seems like, so take that with a grain of salt. Anyway a way to confirm would be to take the switch out and see how it works. A call to a big dealer like BCM might also clear this up. Anyway, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
an opportunity to get intimate with your girl (bike) thank god for warrantys I guess, I will be sure to put as many miles on mine as possible during the warranty period in an attempt to make sure that if something small is going to fail to make sure it fails while under warranty.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
howie said:
I just looked at the parts breakdown. It seems like the same switch, as ducpainter says and does not show a non conductive sleave. As I said, seems like, so take that with a grain of salt.
Hi Howie, you have been with me from the start on this one.

The non-conductive strip is on the shift drum, he actually showed it to me Friday when I took the bike to the shop. What he did was take the neutral light switch out of the engine, used a mechanic's mirror and a flash light to look in the hole. What he pointed out was the interuption in the non-conductive material (the metal area where the switch grounds to). The metal area was near the bottom of the hole and thus the plunger was sitting on the non-conductive material (not the metal area) when the bike was in neutral. He had to check the shifting mechanism before he could verify that it was actually a movement of the non-conductive material. He did that yesterday and verified that my problem was the drum...He ordered the part yesterday and he will call when it is done.

I guess that I am the first one on the list that this has happened to ...but I'd be willing to bet that I will not be the last.

The first dealer I called, I really don't know their reputation. My dealer is a wealth of knowledge and though he did not know of this new design prior to my problem, he is currently a Ducati dealer and must have discussed it with them since he told me that it is a new design.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Old-Duckman said:
Hi Howie, you have been with me from the start on this one.

The non-conductive strip is on the shift drum, he actually showed it to me Friday when I took the bike to the shop. What he did was take the neutral light switch out of the engine, used a mechanic's mirror and a flash light to look in the hole. What he pointed out was the interuption in the non-conductive material (the metal area where the switch grounds to). The metal area was near the bottom of the hole and thus the plunger was sitting on the non-conductive material (not the metal area) when the bike was in neutral. He had to check the shifting mechanism before he could verify that it was actually a movement of the non-conductive material. He did that yesterday and verified that my problem was the drum...He ordered the part yesterday and he will call when it is done.

I guess that I am the first one on the list that this has happened to ...but I'd be willing to bet that I will not be the last.

The first dealer I called, I really don't know their reputation. My dealer is a wealth of knowledge and though he did not know of this new design prior to my problem, he is currently a Ducati dealer and must have discussed it with them since he told me that it is a new design.
Well, at least we now know the dealer is correct. So, a lack of ground turns the light on? I guess it reduces manfacturing cost, one less machining process. I do wonder if the non conductive material wears over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts