Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm starting to shop around for rotors on my 900ss and am soliciting info on folk's good and bad comments on aftermarket rotors.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ductile iron is great stuff, does rust if that maters to you. Cast is getting really hard to find in most cases what is sold as cast is really Ductile. See weights below.

Stock 916 (Round holes) - 4lb 3.5oz
996 "Snowflake" - 3lb 11.0oz
Corsa - 3.93lbs
Cast iron small triangles - 3.68lbs
Cast iron big triangles - 3.52
Narrow track basket weave - 3.08lbs
998R Narrow Track - 3lb 1.0oz
BrakeTech Ductile - 2lb 15.0oz
Galfer Wave - 2lb 7.0oz
BrakeTech axis ductile iron - 3lbs
Aluminum Metal Matrix - 30.1oz - 1lb 14.1oz

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I am trying to reduce weight also, I have a wave for the rear and I think I am putting braketech rotors in front, I have only heard good things so far......

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cast Iron/Ductile

I like the feel of the cast iron. Braketech AXIS is one of the few that offer a cast iron now. However if you ride in the rain, the cast iron rotors rust and look pretty nasty.

I like the free floating rotors. The AXIS and a few of the Brembo are free floating. The ones that are not free floating can be converted over by using the STM free floating buttons.

The narrow track rotors will not fit with the single pin caliper. Brembo has a new free floating ductile steel caliper that is fairly light and looks like their Corsa rotor. The new caliper is compatible with the single pin caliper and all the pads on the market.

We just tried some Carbon Lorraine pads on several of our bikes here. Those are some of the best pads that we have tried to date. We will get our first batch of pads in about two weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
actually, the brake tech rotors are ductile iron. ductile iron rotors are better than cast iron. see, cast iron rotors are made by pouring molten metal into a form. ductile iron rotors are sawed off the end of a large bar or ingot. this causes the blade to be stronger and not prone to cracking like the discontinued brembo cast iron rotors of the mid 90s. btw, i haven't seen any crack, it's just that's what i'm told can happen after heavy use.

i've ridden and raced on stainless OEM rotors, Brembo cast iron, and Brake Tech ductile iron rotors. the brembo CI feel a lot better than the OE stainless, and the brake tech a lot better than the brembo CI. the overall feel is remarkable.

both brembo CI and Brake Tech ductile iron will rust. i pretty much consider it a crime to buy rotors and not buy Brake Tech. :)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
How do the OEM narrow band 998R rotors compare to the BrakeTechs using four pad calipers? Feel? Warping? Wear? Cost?
well, you can use 4 pad caliper on BT rotor, so that's not comparable.

feel of iron will always be better than stainless, regardless of caliper ... and almost regardless of pad. running dual BT rotors on ducati will not warp unless there is a problem with your master cylinder. BT rotors probably cost less than anything "cool" from brembo.

i consider the two pin "gold line" caliper with CP911* pads on brake tech rotor to be absolutely sublime. i cannot imagine how anything with a stainless rotor could be better, power wise, or even close as far as feel goes.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
oh, and BT rotors are available in "narrow track" configuration and actually cost less than the current AXIS rotors because they use the conventional button design. these are the "superlight" model of rotors from them.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
well, you can use 4 pad caliper on BT rotor, so that's not comparable.

:)
What my question meant to ask was to compare the rotors as if they were both using the same 4 pad calipers (I am currently running the 4 pads calipers with SinterGrip ST pads and SS OEM rotors).

But I think you answered my question, thanks.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Ductile iron is cast, just like (gray) "cast" iron rotors.

Ductile cast irons are better alloys than gray cast irons.
Tougher and stronger.
More expensive material too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts