Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I have a scratch on my left fork. To conceal it, I want to turn the fork in. Do I suspend the bike with a ladder attached to the frame to do this? Once the bike is suspended, all I have to do is loosen the pinch bolts, right?

Is there any trick I can use to making sure the fork clamps stay in the same position (so I don't have to re-measure the distances)? If I do have to measure the distances and adjust things, how precise do I need to be? I just have regular old tape measures....

Tigre

(Can you tell I'm intentionally bucking to hit to 100 message mark with a series of these tech questions)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I assume it's the outer tube, not the slider, that's scratched...

When I removed my front wheel, I put the bike on the center stand (rear stand will work fine too) and jacked up under the engine with a floor jack. I'm kinda thinkin' you don't have one of those in your bedroom though.

As for the fork height, I'll bet anything you'll see clear lines where the clamps were that you can line up on. Also, you will only be loosening one side. If the axle is bolted in, the loose fork will stay aligned to the pinched one anyway.

So your only challenge is lifting the bike ;D

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool--thanks!

Yes, it's the outer tube. As a part of my "2004 complete beautification" project, I'm going over ways to fix/conceal all the blemishes on the bike -- did I mention I've actually cleaned the engine? I'm still working on getting it perfect, but the original brown glaze over the bottom of the bike is *gone*!!!

I can wheel the bike out into the garage to use a floor jack. I should be able to just use the jack from my minivan!

Steve / Tigre

·
Registered
248 Posts
Cool--thanks!

Yes, it's the outer tube. As a part of my "2004 complete beautification" project, I'm going over ways to fix/conceal all the blemishes on the bike -- did I mention I've actually cleaned the engine? I'm still working on getting it perfect, but the original brown glaze over the bottom of the bike is *gone*!!!

I can wheel the bike out into the garage to use a floor jack. I should be able to just use the jack from my minivan!

Steve / Tigre
How did u get rid of the brown glaze??. I workin hard on it with no use.
Anil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts