Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my new effort to become a much better rider I made a point of trying to find a road I like and can learn. I did the Puima, Cold Canyon, Mull, Stunt loop on Monday and really dug it. I ended up enjoying goiing UP Puima A LOT, my fave road in that area so far.

ON the way back down Las Virgenes it was a nightmare, that has to be the most twisty, most downhill road ever and it got me thinking. What's a good method for riding down hill? I just went slow as hell and did it ok, but it wasn't fun at all.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Hmmm.

Well, brake a little earlier so you don't come into the turns too hot, and brake a little more, so you can give it some throttle so you don't coast through the turn. Maybe try sitting back a little, with your new lower bars it may feel a little spooky with so much weight on your hands.

R

·
0 Posts
I agree with Nick get your butt back against the rise. A problem with the ol monster tank IMO is it is very hard to clamp onto the the tank with your knees, but if you can it helps a lot. I was thinking of getting something tacky on the sides of the tank to help.....and there is really nothing to rest up against either on the tank to keep you from sliding up like an SBK..which is why I like my tank bag....it helps....but knees will help quite a bit, I try not to load my hands at all going downhill, the forks are loaded enough.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed, I tried to "sit back" on the seat as much as I could, but it's hard to NOT slide forward without using your hands ya know?

Sitting back did help a lot though.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Grab the tank with your knees and use your lower back muscles to keep your body up. It'll take a few rides to train the appropriate muscle groups but you'll get used to it.

-R.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Too much tension, too much control, makes the ride unpleasant and the bike unstable. By tensing your muscle, by transforming your arms in rigid sticks, by contracting your shoulders and your legs you pass to the bike an overdose of orders. Instead relax. Be fluid and

1 - 6 of 6 Posts