Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest some good roads or a loop in the East Bay to ride? I would be starting off in SF.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
1969duc said:
Can anyone suggest some good roads or a loop in the East Bay to ride? I would be starting off in SF.

Thanks
I suggest talking to CADUCMAN since he lives over that way and knows some good roads. But Redwood Road is nice (just make sure it's dry) from Castro Valley. If you're up for a big adventure (and maybe crossing some slightly flooded areas) then Mines Rd --> San Antonio Valley Rd over Mt. Hamilton is phenomenal...despite the bad pavement :)

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
There's a few decent ones...

There's always Redwood, a two lane stretch of twisties maybe 8 miles long. I just do laps back and forth on it. It's a little bumpy and it can have debris and moss on it, especially in winter, but it's still my favorite road out here. Off of that is Pinehurst--a bit goat trailish, but pretty. It's got the tightest hairpin I've ever been on, so that's kinda fun. Redwood hooks up with Skyline and GrizzlyPeak, both lovely rides up along the mountains that are behind the university and then up into the Oakland. Many houses, cyclists, etc here--but still a nice ride if you don't want to push it too big. Palomares hooks up with Grizzly I think...I'll have to double check that--there's a road that comes in front of Chabot Observatory and I think that's the one that it links with. From Palomares there's Calaveras--a single lane curvy number that dumps you down right onto 237 which is a bit South. If you want way East Bay, you can also hit Patterson Pass which is a good road with lots of high speed sweepers. Patterson is just downhill of Altamont Pass (580 E)--if you look down from the freeway, you see it. Then there's the infamous Mines Rd. outside of Livermore. That's probably 20 miles of single and double lane twisties. If you continue on pass The Junction, you can hit up Mt. Hamilton which continues on down into San Jose. I believe there's also Coral Hollow off of Mines...you might be able to hook up with it directly off the freeway (also 580 E.)

·
Registered
454 Posts
That pretty well covers it as far as I know - but it's not Grizzly that Palomares hits. I think you're thinking of Skyline that goes by Chabot. Palomares is south of Redwood, off 580 east, and goes south to 84, where you can then catch Calaveras.

There's also Wildcat Canyon to Bear Creek, off of the north end of Grizzly Peak.

I've still not figured out the perfect loop, and seem to have to suffer through stop signs, backtrack, or take a freeway at some point. First time from the city I'd probably take 24 through the tunnel, take Fish Ranch road (first exit from the right bore), then go right on Grizzly Peak north (you'll completely avoid the residential bits of Grizzly and Skyline this way). Then right on Wildcat to Bear Creek, and from there you can figure out how to take Reliez Valley eventually to Moraga Road, which then connects to Redwood Road south, and then to Palomares. At the south end of Palomares you could go west to get back to the freeway. That's a nice loop, and would be perfect if not for the stop signs on the Reliez Valley section and the freeway at the end.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Ah I forgot about Wildcat and Bear Creek...thanks, Cloudseeker. [thumbsup]

There's also San Pablo Dam Rd. High speed sweepers, nothing to write home to mom about, but pretty...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts