Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed a 6 day, 1800 mile trip on my S2R1000. Started out in Philly, then Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water house south of Pittsburgh, then on to the Corvette Factory and Museum in Bowling Green Ky, then to Deals Gap NC to ride the Tail of the Dragon, then to Wheels Through Time museum, a few stops to see some friends. Some 100 degree days and really wet days, the bike never missed a beat..

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip, congrats on doing it without any issues. A little rain never hurt anything...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Looks like you had fun. My buddy and I will be at Deal's Gap next weekend to ride the Dragon and surrounding roads. Hopefully we will stay dry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the Tail of the Dragon almost to myself in the late afternoon. The only thing I saw was a mama bear and her 2 cubs. It was a blast. I took Rt 28 to Bryson City and it started to rain.. Those were probably the slickest roads I've ever ridden and a lot of turns like the dragon.. Just slow down and be smart. Check out Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley.. Pretty cool..

·
Registered
153 Posts
They call rt. 28 the Hellbender till you get to Stecoach. I'll be at the Iron Horse Motor lodge for the Dragon Raid 9/7-9/13/2015.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I'm always curious as to what people pack and carry on a Monster and how they rig it. Did you camp along the way or was it hotels? Good trip worth doing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trip was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the next one. I have a Ventura-MCA backpack system(check out the website) mounted on the bike. I bought it 4-5 years ago since I commute regularly, and its been great. It holds the same amount as a Multistrada top box. I carried a sweatshirt, regular jeans (wore riding jeans), a pair of shorts, 3 pairs of underwear, 3 tshirts, 3 pairs of socks, IPad, sandals, shaving kit. The outside pockets carried rain suit bottoms (jacket was 'water proof'), swim suit (jumping in a pool after a day of riding is worth it), wheel locks, couple of wrenches, spare bulbs. After the third day, I would wash everything.With this setup, coast to coast wouldn't be a problem. No camping..strictly hotels. After a day of riding in the rain, the last thing I would want to do is to build a tent in the rain and sleep in the mud..no thanks. The only thing I would've done differently, is not use my IPhone 6 for google maps/GPS. I had a water proof case and had the charging line hooked into the battery tender jumper and the phone as a GPS worked great. What I didn't know was the IPhones have a hi temperature shutdown. Around 1.30-2pm it would shutdown for 15-20 minutes at the worse possible time..I have a 2006 S2R1000 (almost 40K miles) and I've made the bike comfortable as I can with 1 1/4" risers and a cramp buster. I did a little over 500 miles one day and that's about as far as I would want to go. I found that I was getting tired and would take risk I wouldn't normally take..time to park it..

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great writeup Dave. Sounds like a great ride. Very jealous as would love to get over to the US and do a big ride. It is on the bucket list to do. Have been over and done SC,NC, Virginia and Georgia including blue ridge parkway but that was by car. Want to get back and do it all on a bike. Cheers and thanks for the trip report. Frank

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Great write up. And insights. I have Rizoma risers and while I sometimes miss a bit more forward lean the comfort is there. What's a cramp buster?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A cramp buster is a plastic piece that's fits on the throttle and allows you to hold the throttle position with your palm, allowing you to relax your grip and stretch your fingers.. I think mine was $10..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Frank. There's a lot of good riding here in the States as in your country. I have buddy that spent 3 weeks in Australia on a Multistrada and had a blast. He and I are planning to ride to next year's MotoGP race at COTA. Cheers..Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts