Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're riding a canyon, or a nice twisty road (anything twisty is a canyon here in CO), and you see the beautiful curved arrow and the requisite speed advisory sign, what's your mental picture of how fast you plan on entering the curve?

Depending on the road conditions, I'm usually comfortable doubling (or tripling, if it's a 10 mph curve or something that's nice and graded) the posted speed.

Again, this is assuming there're no other variables involved (cars, police, bad roads...)

I assume I'm not the only one that has this internal speedometer, and I KNOW I'm not the only one that uses the speed limit signs as little more than a speed mininum

·
Registered
22 Posts
talking twisties...i normally double, even though some corners can catch you out by being tighter than expected.

in most cases a 30kph corner i'll try and do at 60, a 45kph at 90, an 60kp at 120 and a 90hph at 180. Mainly on country roads etc - not cliff roads! make sure you have ridden the roads before though, it aint good doing 180 and hitting a pothole that sends ya flying

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I live in the Mts. and those signs mean nothing.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
cherub rock said:
Again, this is assuming there're no other variables involved (cars, police, bad roads...)
I have yet to find a road where those variables aren't involved.

Like all riding, my speed depends on traffic, visibility through the corner, how well I know the road, and how frisky I feel. I don't have any set rule ("well, it says 25, so I should be doing 90...") - I just use the signs a guide as to exactly how hairy blind corners are. If I can see from start to finish, I ignore their speed suggestion and go at my own pace. It's usually not below the posted limit, though... >:D

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
25-30% over the posting on an unfamiliar curve/road...

never know when you'll blast into a decreasing radius turn or gravel/red clay roadwash after a storm

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I usually double the posting too, but sometimes it can get you in trouble. There is one road I ride a lot around here (Mosquito lake road) that is really great, but it has this one turn that scares me every time! The first time I took it I think I shat my pants... It is posted like 30 or 40 or something, and the entry looks about normal. As soon as you start going around this bend though the road drops away into a steep downhill curve hill, and the radius of the turn simultaneously decreases! I am just glad I wasn't going fully 2x the posted speed the first time!! :-[

The decreasing radius thing obviously is a non-imaginary problem, but I can't figure out if the downhill fear thing is just in my head or not. ???

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
Alex said:
The decreasing radius thing obviously is a non-imaginary problem, but I can't figure out if the downhill fear thing is just in my head or not. ???
Given you want to set up your speed at entry on a motorcycle even moreso than in a cage, a reduction in elevation in a turn *is* considered a deacreasing radius turn even if the radius isn't really decreasing. Add to it the fact that the turn you meantioned is also getting tighter, and I can see why you shat your pants... I'd take that turn reaaaal serious, too ;)

-Alt

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You younger riders sure do provide some hilarious comic relief.

(rolling eyes)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Alt said:
Given you want to set up your speed at entry on a motorcycle even moreso than in a cage, a reduction in elevation in a turn *is* considered a deacreasing radius turn even if the radius isn't really decreasing. 
Do you mean a turn is considered a decreasing radius just because of the decreased visibility that comes with a loss of elevation?

I was thinking something along the lines of losing traction as the bike starts to 'float' a little just as the wheels start to go down the hill and the body of the bike is sort of left in the air due to its inertia. The bike just feels a bit lighter on its wheels for sec, if that makes any sense. ???

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
It's considered decreasing radius because you will have a tendency to pick up more speed through the turn since it's downhill. You dont want to be braking heavily IN the turn, so you need to overcompensate with a lower entry speed than you would expect, just like a true decreasing radius turn.

-Alt

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Alt said:
It's considered decreasing radius because you will have a tendency to pick up more speed through the turn since it's downhill.  You dont want to be braking heavily IN the turn, so you need to overcompensate with a lower entry speed than you would expect, just like a true decreasing radius turn.

-Alt
ahh yes gravity... that makes sense. increasing speed mid-turn = bad. got it. I still feel like part of my fear is based on having worse traction for some reason though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts