Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen and ladies,

I'm mulling over getting a 'racing license' here in the USA, but am generally confused by all the stuff surrounding it. I've read the Rules & Regs on the WERA site, and it sounds like the only requirement is to attend and pass a class at an approved school. Obviously, getting to that level isn't an overnight exercise, but it sounds like passing the class is all there is to it...

Why/what do I want to do with it? Frankly, not sure yet...but being able to riding well enough to get the license is a clear goal of mine.

Can you guys help me understand the myriad options and basic requirements one needs?

Thanks,

Gene

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
you can ride like a complete fool and get a racing license. a racing school or "racing license" usually means you listen to them tell you what the flags mean and some orgs have a "mock race" (and you don't crash).

first of all, why do you want to race?

if you don't want to compete, then a track day org (or riding school like shwantz, spencer, star, etc) may be a much more appropriate avenue.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
depends on the org. They are regional. If you don't want to race, there is no point. If you do, find out who puts on the races in your area, attend a few races, ask around.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you want to race then you need to do it. Like these guys said, there's no point otherwise. You will learn alot about track safety, and flags, that's it. There is one advantage however, alot of retailers give a racer's discount because they realize how much money we drop. Usually around 10% discount which adds up when buying parts and gear.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure I ever want to race competitively (i.e., as a pastime or hobby), but want to be able to ride well enough to do so. Hence the license...didn't realize it was only about track safety (but then again, why not?)

Sounds like attending reputable schools makes a lot of sense and doing track-days would be good practice sessions.

From what you're all saying, there are several 'levels' of racing ranging from barely regulated get-togethers to organized events held by nationally recognized groups. I don't think I'm interested in the unsanctioned(?) get-togethers - too easy to get hurt. So what else is available?

What kinds of racing do you guys do? Any? Some? With whom?

BTW, don't worry, I'm not going to show up at your track and take you out a la Pedro [cheeky]

R

·
0 Posts
There's nothing to it. Just show up, take the "class", then race. I'm with WSMC, and the race license give you the option of doing monthly trackdays in between racer's practice sessions. If you don't want to ride competitively but want to become more comfortable at speed, do a few trackdays. No license required for that. If you really want to improve your riding, do a few schools. Stick to the reputable ones. I've taken "clinics" for a hundred bucks that weren't worth my time, money, and the rubber I burned. But then I took the Code Race and the Mystery Schools and my improvements were instant and measurable. Be careful though - you'll want to compete and see how good you really are before you realize it, and a lifelong addiction will begin...

-R.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
RST said:
There's nothing to it. Just show up, take the "class", then race. I'm with WSMC, and the race license give you the option of doing monthly trackdays in between racer's practice sessions. If you don't want to ride competitively but want to become more comfortable at speed, do a few trackdays. No license required for that. If you really want to improve your riding, do a few schools. Stick to the reputable ones. I've taken "clinics" for a hundred bucks that weren't worth my time, money, and the rubber I burned. But then I took the Code Race and the Mystery Schools and my improvements were instant and measurable. Be careful though - you'll want to compete and see how good you really are before you realize it, and a lifelong addiction will begin...

-R.
[thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uh oh.... :D

Found a page on Sport Rider (online) listing dozens of schools and racing organizations [cheeky]

I'm thinking CalSuperbike (Code) Levels I-III next year and then either Code RACE (kinda far from East Coast to Willow Springs) or Schwantz/Spencer the following Spring - with several track days sprinkled liberally throughout.

Sound like a plan to you guys?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts